Dirtykid

Jul 8, 2002
I have a 2000 Rm 125 and I was wondering if it is possible to modify a 2 stroke bike to turn it into a hardcore trail bike. Im not into that whole track thing (shouldve got a trail bike, but i didnt), I love riding the woods and stuff but my Rm has no low end power whatsover which makes it bad for the trails. Is it possible to do this, and if it is what kind of mods would I need to do to get it hardcore trail ??

Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
The fastest guys I've seen and ridden with (local pros) ride RM125s. They LOVE tight, slow and nasty trails too. So, the bike can make a very good woods bike.

Jeremy

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
About a hundred years ago (or so it seems) I rode a CR125 in the woods exclusively. It can be done.

Now a days, I'd send the jug off to be ported for good low end power and/or add a flywheel weight and/or gear down a bit.

Or just sell it and buy a KDX200.

Dirtykid

Jul 8, 2002
Nice thanks, is it expensive to get a new low end job done ? Cause I love the speed the RM has its the best bike that ive ridden so far, although i havent tried a KDX 220 I rode an XR something and it was so slow.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
is it expensive to get a new low end job done ?

No.... maybe a couple hundred bucks. But while you're in there you can inspect the piston and rings. And if that needs replacing....

Many folks here like Eric Gorr's work. I have no experience with him. I'm sure there are others that do good work as well.

But what you'd get is an engine that is a bit less pipey. With less of an abrupt hit to the powerband.

Ya might try the cheaper things first. A flywheel weight and a smaller front sprocket would be less than $100, I think.

atc3434`

~SPONSOR~
Nov 1, 2001
125's can work just fine in the woods! I ride my '01 YZ125, one of the pipiest 125's, in the woods all the time. The best thing you can do is change the gearing. I went from 49t to 53t on the rear sproket, it made the bike MUCH better at low speeds. A good chain is real important too, might as well take care of your new sprockets. Also, going down smaller than a 13 size sprocket off the countershaft probably isn't a good idea, too much stress. Do a search, this ones been bickered about a lot. I prefer to add teeth to the back.

Secondly, get your jetting perfect. If your going to be putt putting around in the woods, you don't want a bike thats going to load up and/or foul plugs on you. Also, you want it to pull hard quick and clean as soon as you need it, so good jetting is a must. Other than that, well, there is porting, and pipes, and all that, but I stay stock, and let the 125 size motor make power the way it likes, screaming. If I want low end torque, I should ride a different bike. I still need clutch work in some of the really tough sections, but not too bad. And the handling is beautiful. Well setup suspension is another important thing.

Just as a side note, the '03 KTM125 makes an awesome woods bike, great middle power. Juice clutch is real nice too.

Last edited:

Dirtykid

Jul 8, 2002
Cool I think im gonna do that over the winter, so by next summer ill be all ready to go, I dont mind spending a few hundred bucks as long as I can feel comfortable in the woods, cause right now its alot harder for me.

Thanks alot guys,

DIrtykid

Top Bottom