kingbrian

Jul 20, 2006
:blah: mmmk- so i recently went through my engine and did some clutch basket work and new top end gaskets (94 wr250) and wen i started it, it seems loud. (engine internals loud), but i didnt do anything but gaskets. i can only hear it with my helmet off, maybe im paranoid. because its not terribly loud just loud enough to hear. but does anyone else hear anything from the smokers? :coocoo:

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
These are often powervalve related, assuming this bike has one. If it does, make sure it's all reassembled correctly.

Doug

kingbrian

Jul 20, 2006
letsride24-7 said:
What kind of noise?? knocking tapping rapping..
ummm yeah... well i was listening to it again and it sounds like i think the sound of it just firing in the cylinder and me hearing it. i know the the power valve is working right and not hitting the piston.. (it wasnt working before) and it doesnt sound like a knock i think its just normal sounds that im bein paranoid about...maybe i should try some race fuel see wut happens.... i dunno..

rosscopeeko

Feb 25, 2005
my 03 cr250 has piston slap i believe and is loud too at idle. it sounds like a quick tapping which is related to idle speed. I work with another guy who has the same bike and it does the same. I ride my bike and trust it way back in the woods with no problems. Hope yours is the same.

slater

Dec 30, 2006
rosscopeeko said:
my 03 cr250 has piston slap i believe and is loud too at idle. it sounds like a quick tapping which is related to idle speed. I work with another guy who has the same bike and it does the same. I ride my bike and trust it way back in the woods with no problems. Hope yours is the same.

Im looking at a kx85 and makes the same knocking sound at idle im jsu wondering if its bad, if not how would i tell my brother its not a abd thing? n e help..
btw sorry for changing the subject :cool:

berlinetta

Dec 16, 2006
rosscopeeko said:
my 98 CR250 does this too

slater

Dec 30, 2006
Im looking at a kx85 and makes the same knocking sound at idle im jsu wondering if its bad, if not how would i tell my brother its not a abd thing? n e help..
btw sorry for changing the subject

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
Often times on 2 strokes, noise can be heard at idle from the back lash between the primary gear and the ring gear on the clutch basket.
The KX85's and 100's before 2006 were really noisy because the primary gear was held on the crankshaft with a snap ring. The 2006 and 2007 models are held on with a left hand threaded nut so the primary gear can't walk back and forth on the shaft. This doesn't change the clearance between the ring gear and the primary gear, but it did reduce some of the knocking noise.

1BAD250

Nov 21, 2006
my 94 yz 250 has a faint noise at idle,& my pro circit chamber pings & tings at idle i say its normal noises as long as your water cooled engine dont sound like a air cooled one your all good. oh & keep them engine mount bolts tight loose bolts make the worst noises trust me..

Kawiguy1994

Jan 14, 2007
griffbones said:
Often times on 2 strokes, noise can be heard at idle from the back lash between the primary gear and the ring gear on the clutch basket.
The KX85's and 100's before 2006 were really noisy because the primary gear was held on the crankshaft with a snap ring. The 2006 and 2007 models are held on with a left hand threaded nut so the primary gear can't walk back and forth on the shaft. This doesn't change the clearance between the ring gear and the primary gear, but it did reduce some of the knocking noise.

I totlly agree griffbones, if its the noise that im thinking of, just let the bike idol in neutral till u hear the sound, then pull the clutch in. That sound should go away, then when u let it back out it will come back...... if thats the noise its completly normal.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Backlash noises should go away as you let the clutch out and get a more consistant load that keeps the contact on the drive side of the teeth. At idle in neutral or while cruising at constant speed should be the worst. These are normal conditions.

uts

Jan 8, 2004
Engine noises are generally fixable. However I had an 86 cr250 which rattled quite loudly at idle, straight after a rebuild/bore. After stripping it down and taking piston/cylinder etc back to the shop and getting all clearances checked again, I was sure there was no problem. I checked every possibility, but it just rattled. Ran for years like that.

Who knows.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom