Teal

Oct 19, 2003
Whats up guys, I have only ridden a dirt bike a few times in the past, and now I am ready to buy a used one, year 2000,2001. The problem is I just dont know which one, a KDX 200 or a MX 2-stroke. I live in Florida, I wont to do some trails, no big jumps and some whoops. Alot of people are telling me around here that a 2-stroke is terrible on trails, while some say that thier just wussies that they love them on trials. Iam new to the sport but I am a adrelene junky and dont wont to get bored with a KDX even thou I never rode one. How is a KDX 200 compared to a MX. Will a MX blow it away on a straight flat drag race. What do you guys think. Thanx for any Advice
Teal

drzgod

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2002
Two Strokes are going no where. Their not being outlawed, but they cannot (currently) meet the stricter emission requirements that will go into effect in 2006. That means they (new models) will be limited to closed course events. Any investment you make in a two stroke today will not be lost, you don't have to put your bike away in 2006, your grandfathered in. Two strokes are great in the woods, will a MX bike kick a KDX in a straight line? You bet! Put them both on a tight trail which the KDX is designed for, different story. A straight flat line you describe is alot more boring than that tight trail in my opinion, you decide on your jollies, however.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
My KX works great on tracks and trails.. If you buy one it wont be outlawed or self destruct :silly:

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
On January 1, 2005 all 2 strokes will self destruct.
:scream: :scream: :scream:

!!!OH MY GOD!!!

If you're a mild adrenalin junkie the KDX will do you fine. If you're a more than average adrenalin junkie the KX would be the route. 250 MX bikes are woods standards around here.

n8MX

Mar 27, 2001
I ride my KX250 ('98) on some pretty tight trails, and I think it does fine. I think I like it better than a KDX (although I haven't ridden one for several years) - it's nice to have more power than necessary because you can open it up quick and have a ton of power. I think it might take a little more work than a KDX because it does have more power on tap, but there is no way I would trade for trails.

Last week I let a friend of mine ride it, he has a street bike but has never been on a dirt bike bigger than an XR80. He was riding pretty well and absolutely loved it - he now wants to sell his street bike and get a dirt bike.

It might take a while longer to get used to the power of an MX 250 as opposed to a KDX, but you will probably enjoy the MX bike more if you ride places other than trails - if you are an adrenaline junkie you will probably want to ride an MX track at some point and the KDX would not be very forgiving there.

Andy

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Originally posted by Teal
so, you guys ride your 2-strokes in the trails?
Teal
All the time :) Plus at N8MX says, it's nice too have power on tap.. KDX though are good trail bikes, just depends on what you like and suits your riding..
Rick

RCJ81

Jun 2, 2000
I just got back from riding my yz250 at the state ohv park. Rode some on the track then went trail riding. Plenty of power and does great. Its nice having the mx suspension and hp when you need it. I wouldnt go smaller than a 250 and would try for a late model yz with a linear powerband.

Teal

Oct 19, 2003
Is everyone talking about 250's on the trails. I was really wonting a 125 because I am a beginner rider, and a smaller bike right??
Teal

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
The exact same physical size! Only the engine, and mounts are different, and quite a few other small little bits and pieces, but side by side there is no difference, i own a rm125, its great but bogs a bit down low in the woods, i would buy a mid 90s 250 mx bike and put a flywheel weight kit on it, that way an earlier bike will hopefully be less costly and will not depreciate as quickly! Have fun and dont worry, the big hype about the power of mx bikes is not as bad as you think. Oh and buy a manual , eric gorrs book and tear her down, when you get her, then youll really start to love it!

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
About any 2 stroke Kaw would make a good a trail bike. A KDX is ideal for whoops if you ride them fast like the pros but I just rode my 200 on the track for the first time and I think it does pretty good. I'm only 13 at begginer level and I'm not an adreneline junkie. I'm proud to say I didn't crash on my first ride(though inches away).

The KX250 is a bad trail bike(thats what was right behind me and kept me going) but unless you ride trails its not the right bike.

The KX125 is a good trail bike and would be a nice 2nd choice for you. It has less power and less weight making it easier to control and throw though the trails.

KX100 great trail bike w/ bottom and top end if a your 5'6"(like me) and a KDX or KX125 is too big.

KX500-power/torque monster-maybe in a few years:)

Other 2 strokes are the KTM EXC's esp. the 200 and 250.

Get your 2 stroke now because dooms day comes in 2006. Once you have you 2 stroke they can't take it away from you. You can't buy one even from another country anymore either. I really don't think the government can do it but we'll see.

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
Considering your level I'd strongly consider a KDX. It'll rip if you want it to but be very manageable in the woods. 125's are pretty difficult to ride on tight trails and hills. They require a lot of clutch work, a skill you're not born with as a beginner. A KDX won't limit your riding or speed for a Long time, if ever so I wouldn't worry about it "hanging" with MX bikes. It's probably faster than a 125 IMO but requires a lot less maintenance. I'd say KDX all the way! If I had had a second choice I guess it would be a 250 MX bike, just ride it gingerly...

kdxtodd

Nov 14, 2001
The absolute best beginner trail bike made is the kdx200. Nothing compares. You can start off stock and gradually make it faster and faster to suit your style. me and my brother both started off on kdx200s and im very glad that i didn't buy an mx bike first. The kdx is way better than a 125 on trails, you can have as much as 10ftlbs of torque more than a 125. and you can feel it. Unless you are going to race, buy a 200. my brother now has a 01 kx125 and I have a 00kx250, because we are way more advanced and going to start racing. I miss my kdx a lot but I hope kawi makes a clean version in the future. No thumper can deliver the power, reliability, fun factor, and price all in one like a kdx can. You can't go wrong buying a kdx!:)

Teal

Oct 19, 2003
Wow, that is great, 70 mph. If I can grab a 1998 KDX, how risky is that, I dont wont to have to fix it up.Thanx again for all the advice.
Teal

kdxtodd

Nov 14, 2001
a 98' would be great. They are the exact same since 95'. Just put in a new top end and clean the powervalves and youll be set.

jharmon

Aug 1, 2001
I have a KX250 and my brother has a KDX200. On the trails, the bikes are pretty compatible. I have been riding for the last 16 years, and have no problem with the KX250 on the trails. My brother has only been riding for the last couple of years, and he rides that KDX better than I ride my KX on the trails. I used to have a KDX175, and that thing hauled butt on the trails, just like my brother's 200.

If you are looking for a bike that is built stricltly for trails, then I would go with the KDX200, the MX bikes have a lot of power that can be a little more difficult on the trails. The reason why is, the KDXs have a heavier flywheel, therefore you don't have the pull from the bike when you hit power band. That power band pull can throw you off the trails at times.

If you do decide to go with the MX bike, you'll have to feather the clutch through the trails a lot more than a KDX.

The MX bikes (such as my KX250) will blow the snot off a KDX200 on an open field. My brother and I raced through the woods and through an open field. I did all I could to pass him on the trails but he was just too fast. Once we got to the open fields, I passed him shifting through the gears. I thought something was wrong with his bike at first, but he said he was giving it all he had.

Good luck with your choice. Personally, I would stick with the MX bike, because you'll want the speed when you need it. And feathering the clutch can do wonders, especially once you learn to control the power band.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
Dang I wish they still made 175 enduros(PE/KDX). Even a 150cc would be nice. But I don't think Kaw will invest any money into the KDX's now that they will become impossible to sell in 2006.

Yes a top end(if it needs it) and a good cleaning(KIPS and piston) will do it if the bike is in good shape to start with. You might have to set the suspension and jetting which isn't as hard as it sounds. It all depends on the bike your looking at. Make sure to ask the owner about what he's done to it(good and bad) but you can't always trust them. Check for major problems like these:

Suspension: bounce on it listen for squeaks. See if the fork tubes are bent or leaking.

Exhaust: Check for dents in pipe. The scilencer may need repacked if it smokes a lot or is loud.

Engine/Tranny: Check for dents. Should ride it to see if there are any major problems. May need rejetting.

Plastic: Look for scratches, holes, and if it is faded. See if graphics are intact and sticking.

Ask if they have put any aftermarket parts on it and what they are wanting for it.
Good Luck.

FlyinHawaiin

Nov 15, 2003
4-strokes have more torque and they can kinda climb over obstacles but a 2-stroke has real speed and as long as you know what your doing can RIP those trails. Love riding my CR250 on trails, it really is preference, its more of a challege on a 2-stroker and if you wipe out just shake it off. Like one time my back tire nailed a root sideways and made me go face first in a 3 ft puddle, man I live for this.

Top Bottom