Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 16, 2005
I have been looking at all the thumpers and a handfull of 2strokes for a new bike. Well, I settled on a used xr 650 r for the moment to dual sport. However, it has been brought to my attention that the 2 stroke is not even close to going away. Everybody, including the manufactures have been 4 stroke crazy, trying to perfect them. Mainly because of upcoming epa regulations. Many of us have made the transistion in preparation for the 2 cycle engine to disappear. It's not going to happen and here is why. Technology. Look at Ski Doo with their SDI engines, and Evinrude with their new E-tec engines. These 2 stroke powerplants are 10 times cleaner than a modern 4 stroke yes indeed! There is no getting around the fact that 2 strokes weigh less, put out more power and have a lot less moving parts. They can be made to hook up like a thumper as well, ie: KTM 300. Try this on for size. A 2007 Honda CRE 250. 2 stroke power and light weight. Not carbed, but direct fuel injection, electric start. Yes a happy button for a smoker. The fuel tank and air box swap locations. Now the fuel is even lower. You can do this cuz direct injection would require a fuel pump and gravity feed is no longer a neccessity. A bike like this would exceed 2010+ EPA regs. That's right, the future for you pro moto mechanics won't be changing jets, but maybe fuel mapping. So this is what I think of certain groups getting rid of the best engine ever made. :nener:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Uhh.. I suppose there are some who bought 4 strokes because the thought the 2-stroke is going away? Some of us enjoy the power delivery and believe it or not, are happy with our selection :) It took no arm twisting to get me to ride my last 3 thumpers.

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
10 times cleaner than modern 4-strokes? I think not!!!
Power to weight and less moving parts, yes!

I love to sea DFI 2-Stroke MX bike sometime soon.

keithb7

Feb 5, 2005
2 strokes will be around forever. If they stop making them everyone will be restoring theirs as they wear out. Who cares what your personal preferences are, the consumer ultimately decides what is dropped from production. On the whole, if everyone goes 4 stroke crazy, that's where all the money will go into R&D. 2 strokes rock, we all know it, but facts are facts, the sales numbers are down. They do sell but probably for every 4 or 5 thumpers sold, one 2 stroke is sold. Another fact is the mass purchases of 4 strokes, if it continues, will stop production of most 2 strokes.Direct injection or not.

jmossbarger

Apr 12, 2000
I don't know about everything Hurricane is claiming, but the 10 times cleaner (or something in that range) is a tested fact on the OMC E-Tec motors (there was one area of the RPM range where they were pretty much the same). That is compared to either a Yamaha or Honda 4 stroke marine motor. It also got better mileage.

The new DI stuff is pretty impressive.
joe

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Okiewan said:
Uhh.. I suppose there are some who bought 4 strokes because the thought the 2-stroke is going away? Some of us enjoy the power delivery and believe it or not, are happy with our selection :) It took no arm twisting to get me to ride my last 3 thumpers.
indeed. I don't care how clean a 2 stroke is, I'm not buying one. I like how the power gets to the ground rather than spinning all over hell and gone.

and I'm not as much a hater of the 2 strokes as the smokers are of the 4.

But 2 strokes still suck :nener:

RAR

Nov 30, 2001
I don't hate 4 strokes. I had one for 3 years. I really like them.. although I do think they're too loud. :aj:

Feb 16, 2005
Don't get me wrong guys, I like 4 strokes as well. For the guys who are hardcore 2 stroke nuts, especially in Cali., this good news. I am still seriously considering a 300 EXC. Its has tons of get up and go, light and hooks up almost as well as any thumper. It's not just bikes but all 2 cycle engines that will be affected.

pace

Nov 21, 2003
Oh hey.. it's our weekly 2-stroke vs. 4-stroke installment!

Somebody pass the popcorn..

bbqtex

Mar 23, 2005
Well lets see with all those extra bells and whistles it may not be lighter any more and the 4 stroke will out power it due to torque all other things being equal.

:laugh:

keithb7

Feb 5, 2005
There are many 4 stroke owners that have lots of great information to share here on the 2 stroke forum. Especially since most of 'em are ex-2 stoke riders. ;) By all means, come and visit and participate in the 2 stroke forum, especially if you have something productive to add. But turning threads into 2 stokes suck...4 strokes rule is getting stale.

Just me wondering, as I don't think I have vistied the 4 stroke forum on DRN...Is this happening all the time over on the 4 stroke forum? Do the smokers go over their pull wedgies on the thumpers as they do over here?

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
pace said:
Oh hey.. it's our weekly 2-stroke vs. 4-stroke installment!

Somebody pass the popcorn..
Damn! I spilled the butter on the lock button. Oooops.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
There are many 4 stroke owners that have lots of great information to share here on the 2 stroke forum. Especially since most of 'em are ex-2 stoke riders.
Only because you don't remember that the 4-stroke was MX/offroad before 2-strokes. :p

But turning threads into 2 stokes suck...4 strokes rule is getting stale.
Actually, I have the impression after reading tons of these threads that it's the opposite.. 2-strokers complaining about 4-strokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom