20 or 30 ton press for engine rebuild?

VinnyTAMU

Apr 2, 2003
Eirc/Rich,

I read in your performance handbook that a 30-Ton press is required to remove the crank pin and remove bearings form a typical 2-stroke engine. However I was wondering if a 20-Ton press would have enough tonage to remove and install the crank pin as well as the crank bearings?

Thanks

VinnyTAMU

Apr 2, 2003
After doing a little bit of research I determined that the 20 ton press would not have enough tonnage to do the crank pin. However would a 20 ton press have enough tonnage to press out/install all of the engine bearings found in a modern 125 and 250 engine?

Thanks again.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
20 tons is more than enough to do engine bearings.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
In a pinch I've done YZF400 main bearing replacements at home using a freezer, a heat gun, a deadshot hammer, and a slug of aluminum. A big press makes things MUCH easier , but aluminum cases tend to be very cooperative with proper use of a heat gun. ;)

7/11GSXR

May 9, 2005
Thats how I always did my main bearings. Throw the cases in the oven for a few minutes and tap em out with a hammer then reheat the cases and press the new ones in with a brass drift on the outer race and a rubber mallet. I would leave the new bearings in the fridge for about 3 hours. Can you do that on 4 strokes as well?

LWillmann

Jun 2, 2005
Would a 6 ton press be sufficiend for the bearings in the engine/transmission? I have access to one, and figure that would be better than using the hot/cold/hammer trick.

Top Bottom