SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Sorry to beat a dead horse but am going to my dyno guy to jet the mighty Fe_Princess 98 200 MXC and want to bring along all appropriate or requisite jets.

It has the EG BB and porting, Vforce reeds, Knarley pipe and Q silencer. (Which tested 82db at the Furnace HS)

Jetting now is stock needle, and slide cut 2mm.

Give me an idea of what brass to bring along with the needle of choice for linear 0~1/2 throttle openings...

Thanks in advance, if you have sudco availabilty instead of KTM part #'s that would be great.

Bill.

GREENBUNCH

Nov 13, 2001
I had the EG 212 with more everywhere porting on my 2001 MXC 200. Could'nt get the thing to run in the midrange. Had good low and decent topend but flat in the middle. I even sent it back to EG with no luck. I went back to a stock cylinder with CEK 4th from top, 48 pilot, 188 main and it runs perfect. Good luck.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Altitude means nearly everything. Are you talking sea level? I like the CGH in that bike (maybe DDH). I like the __J in 300's and __K in 380's.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
We go from sea level to 5 thousand feet.
The slide is a cut 7.
Let me know the needle of choices, pilot range, slide range, and the same with the main.
I am going to nail this spooge monster once and for all...

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
So you have a 9mm cut in the slide, taking it to a #9. Who did that? When you enter that into the equation, I doubt anyone on this board can give accurate advice on needle selection. I have used #6, #6.5, & #7. And used CGH, and CGK needles in the 200 with success, along with a N3__ yamaha needle that worked very will (double taper?).

That slide is so LEAN it is hard to even guess. I will humor you with speculation though, 48 minimum on the pilot, probably one turn out or less on the air screw. D_G needle (richer than the C needle in the lower throttle settings). AND, I still don't know if I am even in the ball park. Main - 185 or 188 with the single taper needles.

If you use KTM's jetting guide as a tool. You would be re-jetting the bike 3 times between 0' - 5000'.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
I ordered another 6 which I can change into a larger cutaway if need be.
Please don't humor me...
I ordered a CEK, DDH, and a CGH.
I take full responsibilty for cutting the slide too.
Thanks for the help, I'll let you know how it turns out.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Slide cutaway vs needle straight section diameter.

You will find that your results will cluster around 1mm additional cutaway equals one step leaner in straight section diameter in the 5 to 8 range. ddh and deh will put you in the ball park if it holds true above #8 cutaway. With a #6 slide try a dck-2 or ddk-3 or dck-3 with a 45-48 pilot and a 190main. These setting work well in a friends 98 200. with our current temps in the 55-70 range he likes the ddk-3 48p and 190 main at sea level to 3000ft for tight woods riding.

I found that rich straight sections and lean slides balanced better with leaner than normal pilots.

hope you get it sorted out.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
this makes my head hurt...
I am on the path and thank god I have a grand national tuner looking over my shoulder whispering confidence inspiring nuggets.
I see we are kinda wacked out right now, 1398 needle, 40 pilot, cut 7 slide, 180 main.
No wonder she was getting 50mpg in baja....

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
1398 needle? I hope you meant 1368. One more thing, gearing, it will affect your choice preferred jetting package. If you are looking for linear power. Try a 45 or 46 rear sprocket. The gereral consensus in this neck of the woods is the 45 is great for sea- level stuff but a little weak for the occasional foray above 5000 ft

Hope that helps

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
1368 equals C_J. There is a letter after the 68 that will describe the length. Perhaps an N, L, E, or D. The j diameter needles work pretty good with a 7 slide

The 98 and 99 have heavy flywheels and produce good torque so you can stack a bit more gear on them and jet a bit richer. First and second gear is stump pulling stuff with your current gearing. If a little more flywheel won't hurt try a set of steel clutch plates.

Just for fun you might try a nozi-2 or one of the noz_ series ktm needles with the cut slide and a 35-50 pilot and a 178 main. The super senior enduro guys like a lean pilot and the young bucks like a richer pilot. Most guys run a 50% blend of race gas such as c-12 or trick 100 no lead with premium pump.

They are great little bikes, the generator puts out a enough to run a good light, the power delivery can torque mild or rev wild and the chassis is pretty good stuff by todays standards. With a big bore you can probably ride it like a 250 and not rev it much at all on the trails

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
I truly hope you post back your results, and I am sticking by my guns, NO one on this board has used a #9 slide (Other than you). FYI, the newer KTM 125s are using a richer slide that prior years, not leaner.

I will lend you my #7 (shaved #6) to use if you want to try ANOTHER dyno run later, just bring it back to Reno in February.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
I never really sat down and tried to wrap my head arroung the whole fuel delivery curve on this bike and do all the proper reseach.
I just guessed at changes to try to correct the throttle response and adress the mega-spooge.
I don't think what I did was the best solution now, just what I did.
My experience with cut away tuning has gross changes effecting a response unlike other aspects of carb tuning.
This jetting busines is stll kinda black art to me but I see why I didn't bite it off earlier, can't be any more arcane than cylinder heads.
Thanks for your patience, I am looking forward to optimizing Denises bike in time for her to sell it and buy the new Husky TE250 at her shop...

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
I just realized all the old PJ needles form the 90250 will work too...

This is what I have all together then...
Brass in hand, 35~55 pilots
150~ 190 mains
CEK, DDH, CGH, R1464J, R1366N, R1466J NEEDLES

#6 SLIDE

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
just curious after re-reading your post what the stock needle was that you were referring to in the originar post. My info lead me to believe it would be a nozg.

ktmracer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 9, 1999
Stock was a nozi in my 99' (which never needed any jetting changes) I had a 2000 200 that i could never get right, so my interest is peaked.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
My dyno guy decided to have Denise run at sand hill under the lights.
He thought the full throttle nature of the dynojet wouldn't suit our tuning needs.
1368j needle, was at pos 2, went richer to 4, pilot 40 main 180.
Bike ran better, Dale wants us to switch oils and ratios, more tuning to follow...

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Bill - What are you going to be running for oil, ratio and fuel?

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Ktm racer,

The 1368j is nearly identical in profile to the cej. The #4 clip position is very popular with that profile. A 42 or 45 pilot might be worth a try if you find you need a bit more grunt in tight going. If you need to clean things up on the bottom and want to maintain the mid pull try a dcj-3 ddj-3 or dcj-2 rich to lean. Up here with temps in the 60's the 180 main would probably be a bit lean. preffered settings would be 185 -190. If the dxj needles are too rich below 1/4 throttle try a dxk. Some guys in the enduro series like the nozi-2 with a 178 main and a 35-50 pilot on the '00

ktmracer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 9, 1999
i tried the nozh, nozi, ddk, dck, and cek needles. I was never completely satisfied with really any combination. if i could go back, i would return to slightly leaner stock jetting and replace the fmf pipe with a stock one. i now have an 03' that runs great (175 main, 42 pilot, stock needle, stock clip pos). i also run 50/50 mix of pump gas and nutec 112 which seems to clean everything up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom