jrm

Apr 30, 2002
I'm looking for a bike to go woods riding with my son. I've narrowed it to a KDX (I want a 2-stroke). What are the riding differences between the 200 and 220? I understand the 220 has more torque and low end, while the 200 may have a bit more zip to it. Anyone with experience/recommendations?

I am 6'2" and about 175. My MX bikes are CR250s.

Thanks for any advice.

KDX607

Mod Ban
Nov 6, 2006
220's have problematic pistons, if you find one with a weisco in it, your fine. i personally think, that neither bike has a big enough advantage over the other to rule one out, but i do think a 220 with a rev pipe and rb carb work would be sweet

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Both are good bikes.

The 200 does have a little more pep than the 220. I've owned both and prefered the 200 when stock vs stock.

If sticking to only doing bolt-on mods (pipe, reeds, etc) than the 200 holds that advantage. However, if you tap into more in-depth mods like porting, bored carb, and head mods, the 220 pulls away simply because of the displacement advantage.

Rider preference will be the biggest thing though. Both are very torquey and smooth. The 220 is just torqueier and smoother.

Yamajeb

Feb 20, 2006
I love the power delivery on my '03 220. Thus far I've put a rev pipe on it, have opened up the airbox some, replaced the OEM piston with a Wiseco, and have replaced the stock needle with a CEL needle. The power on the 220 doesn't come on hard like your CR250 will; rather, it will come on smoothly which - IMO - is great in the woods. My 220 has excellent low-to-mid power, and I've extended the upper end with the FMF rev. I've ridden the 200 and it is a little snappier, stock vs stock, than the 220. But it doesn't have that awesome low end. Suspension is a little soft up front, stiffer springs cure it.

Good luck on your decision. You can't beat the raw hp of your 250, but if you're looking for control (and FUN) either KDX is a great bet.

Top Bottom