donnij

Feb 24, 2004
Hi, I bought a new kdx 220 last month.I let my 14yr.old son ride it and he loved it.So i'm gonna sell his crf230.
My question is would a boy his age have more fun on a 200 or a 220.He likes to go fast,pop whellies and jump.
I dont want to get him a motorcross bike because we ride mainly in the woods.
I read the 200/220 comparison but i'm still not sure what one to pick.Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Either one of them is going to be fun. I'd probably go with a 200 myself if your going to buy new. Spend the difference in $$ between the 200 and 220 on a new pipe, reeds and a good selection of jetting (needles and brass). Toss in a 12 tooth front for the nasty stuff if so inclined and you've got a good all around bike for him. The stock silencer on either bike aside from being a boat anchor isn't bad and really isn't worth the money to replace right off the bat.

If your going to buy a used bike then get which ever one has the more attractive price point. Both are going to be great bikes.

Regardless of what you decide don't forget to run it thru the new bike prep on the justkdx site http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/newprep.html so you can be assured that the bike is in ridable condition.

-Maurice

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
The 200 has more top end and so should be more fun "go fast" on, due to its port timing and larger carb.It costs less too!
The 220 is better for tight technical riding.

Ether one can be modded to change what you don't like.

I'd say the 200 and yes I do have 220 and love it, but I like slow tight challenging terrain.

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
rethnal said:
Don't go with the 12 tooth front... just add 3 to the back. It will only eat chains!

The 12 tooth suggestion was mostly just to keep the stock chain. Buy a $10 12 tooth, when its gone, buy a 13 front, 50 rear and a o-ring chain and your good to go.

-Maurice

donnij

Feb 24, 2004
Leaning toward 200

Thanks for the opinions and tips.I think due to his riding style i'm thinking the 200 would be the best choice.plus i think it would be nice to have one of each so we can switch bikes and get a little different ride once in awhile.
Any other opinions or tips?

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Get one of each of the pipes for your bikes, a torque for his 200 and a rev for your 220. Try them out then switch for added fun and profit :) Something else to consider is respringing the suspension for your weight. It makes a huge difference in the handling of the KDX.

-Maurice

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: eating chains

I don't mind opinions. Most have one or two.

If 12T 'eats chains' then I have to wonder why I get about two years out of a chain/sprocket set (12T CSS). That's riding most every weekend..mud, slop, dust and dry.

I must need to take less/worse care of it?

Buy a 50t rear and you won't be fitting it to your oem chain guide.

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
I will second CC (hope we arent getting of track). The 12T is just fine. Alot easier than retrofitting the chain guide.

As to the 200 220 - they are both very fine bikes and can be tuned to meet your wants/needs. If I were buying new - I would go with a 200 no question. But if shopping used - find a nice well maintained 200/220 and ride it.

sn

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Guess I should keep my mouth shut since I sandblast my o-ring chain to clean it. And forget oiling the chain... I prefer peanut butter... extra-crunchy!(sticks better) To each his own,,,, Jeesh! All of this changing stuff gets out of hand after a while.. I prefer the stock set-up. I think it works just dandy! I have never been in a situation where I thought :think: Hmmm... a 12-47 would have gotten me out of there much easier. Fork springs are another matter though.....

I think your right on the 200 though... then you will have both to play with!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
No need to take offense.

You have your point of view and are welcome to it, as have I.

Where this works out really well is that YOU don't ride MY bike, and vicey versy.

And...I couldn't count the number of times I would have been stuck with a 13/47 but wasn't with a 12/47.

What's the elevation change in the entire state of illinois, anyway? Anything close to 10,000 feet?

It's a matter of fitting desires (wants) to intended use (needs).

re: Go fast

Either bike will run well over 60mph. Plenty fast enough to kill yourself.

re: pop wheelies (assumed)

The 220 will do better at that.

re: jump

Depending on what this means, the kdx in neither displacement is a jumper. It's relatively heavy, top heavy at that and the stock suspension isn't any good. Neither are the rims. Neither are the spokes. You're welcome to think otherwise. Not everyone can be right all the time.

That said, it's unlikely 'jump' means anything close to what you watch on some 'crusty demons of dirt' video.

There are tons of threads with hundreds of responses regarding the differences between the two models. Some time spent with the search function will yield more information than needed to make a reasonable choice.

C'mon! We're using a crf230 as a baseline fer crin' out loud!! Either kdx will spank that thing.

Oh..on the 'speed' part: If you want to go much faster much quicker (kill yourself earlier?), the 200 is the choice for you. The better rider he is, the more he could use what the 200 provides. The more forgiving a ride he needs, the more he could use the 220.

Either bike can be tuned to any flavor of performance you want.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
No offense taken... just having some fun with it.... and Illinois is "flat as a pancake" (Head East). That being said... Proly should have qualified any statements with intended use eh? :) I think Minnisota is closer to my type riding than your.... could be wrong, but I don't think so. (another one of those damn opinions!) :cool:

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
C'mon now dad, we all know you are getting the 200 for yourself and using the kid as an excuse to have two bikes.
Once you've experianced both bikes, how about a comparison report between the two and the mods you will do on them? Looking forward to hearing more from you.

est142

Dec 30, 2003
either is pretty fast for a 14 yr old. I would strongly impress upon him how quickly a laughing speed run can turn into a hospital visit.

Top Bottom