_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Anybody have a 200 xcw? I'm considering moving from my crf to a ktm. I have some questions.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
what questions? I've owned a bunch of KTM's and raced them for years

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
How's the power spread compared with a 250f? How does it compare to the 250 xcw? Will the suspenders take some moderate mx? I'm looking to buy a more trail oriented bike, but still mx a bit. I had a RM 250 and sold it because I wanted something more maneagable in the trails. I have been happy with the crf's power and the way it is delivered, however it is very loud and smells funny (like a 4 stroke). I didn't ride as often last year, so I wasn't concerned with cost of maintenance on the 4t. However my wife has taken up the sport, so we ride almost every weekend. I think in the long run I would be better off on a 2t. What's the service interval on a top end in a 200? I figure we'll do about 100 hours or less per season, so if I could get away with running a piston for a year, and re-ring mid-summer I would be happy. Anything you didnt like about the smoking pumpkins?

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
The 200 is really its own bike in terms of KTM doesn't have anything that runs as hard or fast w/ that little displacement. I've owned a KTM250F and 250EXC both of which have different power delivery than the 200, although the 200 and 250F aren't that far apart. The 250F is kind of soft down low but still has good torque compared to a 2stroke. It then hits its midrange and revs to 13.5K no problem...kind of like a 2 stroke just much more hooked up and not near as pipey. The 200 does the same thing...kind of soft down low but w/ stock gearing will come on the pipe and freakin' take off. That little bike normally gets geared UP 3 teeth on the back sprocket (48 stocker to a 45) to allow the engine to hook up and get some longer pull out of each gear. The 200 will flat rev quick and pull as hard as many 250 2 strokes, even though it is several HP down on the 250 2 stroker.

The 250 2 stroker is fast...brutal fast in the SX and XC version. The XCW has a wider spaced trans, but still runs very, very good for 08. Basically anything since 05-06 on the 250 2 strokes are good. The 250 remains one of my favorite engines as you can run a gear high and lug around or flat haul the mail w/ it. It kind of bridges the gap of the ultra torquey 300 and the rev happy 200.

As far as maintenance, the engines hold up ridiculously good. I get 80-100 hours on a piston and rings pretty regularly and they still look good with little wear. Just make sure to use the KTM pistons and not the junk Wiseco piston to get the lifespan. When it comes time to rebuild, just set the deck height w/ your base gasket thickness and set the power valve clearance and you are good. Best word of advice if you are going to get a KTM is get used to browsing KTMTalk as there is a ton of info for you when it comes to rebuild time for your bike.

My next bike should be another 250 XC or XCWE...that e-start is cool

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
I saw that about crossing over to MX...the XC line up is really designed just for what you are wanting to do. The XCW is valved a bit softer for woods work, whereas the XC might be better. I don't know how gnarly of trail you are doing vs how big you are going on MX. If either is very extreme either way its tough to get one bike to do it all, but the XC lineup is very good at that.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Yeah, I took a ride to the local KTM dealer today. He said basically the same thing. The 200xc would be bast for what I want to do. I haven't ridden a wide ratio trans, so he thought I might find the "w" a bit spaced out. We ride mostly tight woods, so the longer gap in gearing could be a pain. I am kicking myself for buying the CRF. I could have bought the 200 for what I gave for that. :bang: I never knew the KTMs had dual-map ignitions. Thats great for someone lazy like me, lol. Well, I guess it's time to try and find the Honda a new home........

Top Bottom