2000 300 EXC Rod Kits and Main Bearings

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
ok - I did something stupid...real stupid...after drowning my bike in a deep water hole and flippin it over to get the water out and starting it - i then had to ride about 15 to 20 miles back to the truck. I reasoned that heck...seems you hear of guys doing this all the time - should be OK right? (was a first for me). I was worried though about what might of happened to it - so I tore down the top end tonight... and spinning that crank around sounds like its sandpaper! so looks like time for a bottom end - and that ride was my FIRST on this bike since buying it recently :(

At this point I am assuming i need the rod and lower end bearing/pin replaced, as well as the main bearings. I will be replacing the piston while i am at it to i guess. the cylinder appears to be fine.

So - i priced out an OEM rod kit that comes in at $179 (list was $210), but i see that IMS and Wiseco kits are only around $90. From either companie's web sites they only show their kits for 1990 to 1999 (wiseco) or 1998 (IMS), yet when i look at the parts manual for the bike it appears the rod kit has been the same since 1996. so...did the rods change - or would either the IMS or Wiseco kits fit?

Now...onto main bearings...OEM come in at around $65 each - and I know everyone wil suggest "your local bearing house" - well...there is no "local" bearing house around here, and I dont have cases split yet to get the #s off of the bearings. So...anyone know the correct #s on these bearings and know of a place i can mail order them from (boss bearing does not list KTM on their web site BTW - but they just might have them i guess). oh - i guess the same will go for the seals to?

Thanks in advance...man I feel stupid and PO'ed - my first ride on my new to me bike, my first ride of the season - and I was planning on a race next weekend...and my bike is down for the count :mad: I am not a happy camper right now!

Last edited:

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
I did the bottom end recently on my '99 300EXC. Pretty sure the rod and bearings are the same, but you can check directly with IMS (www.imsproducts.com) or Weisco. I went with OEM bearings, but only because I got a discount from the dealer. Boss Bearings can help you out, I know they've helped others. I've heard their bearings come sealed with grease...make sure that whoever does the work un-seals the bearing and removes the grease.

Not sure where youre going to have the work done, but I had mine done by Jim Neupert at 2Fast Racing (www.2fastracing.com). He does good work and will mail you an engine crate. Labor was $200. Besides the rod and bearings, get a locating pin and all the necessary gaskets.

vince

Oct 19, 1999
Call Cliff's Cycle in Norfolk, Mass 508-528-2936 (frank) They just did a bottom end rebuild on my 98 250e and I am VERY pleased please with the workmanship they were VERY helpful. Excellent pricing.

Vince

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
I called Wiseco...they have a rod to fit. Boss bearing thought they had what i needed for main bearings...but not in stock - so i called Lansing Cycle - but they only had one main bearing - so i still need the other... I have no clue how I will manage to get all this done on time! I will give the Cliffs place a call.

Thanks for the info guys! Now...can you add a few hours to each day so I can get all the work done on time?

Top Bottom