Dec 3, 1999
Friend is looking to buy a brand new 2000 400sxc to make street legal and He wants to know if they had any problems and how well they run.Did they have a wide ratio tranny and how well the carb worked.Did they have and carb problems.Like a bog or Hiccups.
Thanks
Choppy

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
I thought that the SX's had a close ratio gear box. Maybe a bigger countersprocket/smaller rear sprocket combination would make more top end power for street use

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Dual Sportable - SXC

The SXC makes a great dual sport. I has the LC4 motor. It even has the wiring already run to the front and rear turn signals. I also believe it even has the accessory toggles on the handlebars. A friend of mine has one and the only mod he had to make was, I believe, he bumped the main one. I can ask him if you need to know. The bike runs great off road, but can be right at home as a dual sport.

Dec 3, 1999
Strick if you could find out any info on the bike I would be much thankful.I don't want my friend to buy this bike and hate it.I told him that if anyone would know about the bike the KTM TEAM on DIRT RIDER NET would know how good they really are.
Thanks
Choppy

j66CHEVELL

Aug 1, 2000
I had one of these and the only dislike was the fact that it was top heavy and it didnt turn very well. To make it street legal all you need is a blinker switch, mirrors, and dmvs approval. It had decent power and would climb just about anything you point it at. It also has this silly pre-muffler in front of the shock that weighs a ton. Get rid of that and the power would be better. I sold it and bought a 2001 400sx.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
To follow-up, my friends opinion of the bike overall is good. He did also add a Big Gun exhaust system, which lightened the bike and added power. However, he is probably going to get a YZ or WR 4 stroke (used, because of $$), and sell his SXC.

When he first bought the SXC he was planning on dual-sporting it. Now that all he rides is dirt, he knows this bike is not 100% what he wants.
The turning issue that was addressed is valid. The SXC has a longer rake, and can be a chore in certain off road conditions. But, once again, if your friend is looking for a street friendly bike that is good in the dirt, the SXC is a pretty good choice. It is not like an SX:eek:

Dec 3, 1999
Well thanks to all that replied.My friend made a purchase over the weekend.It was not the 400sxc.He has made a purchase I've been looking to do at the end of the year or begining of next.He traded his 2001 400sx in on a 2001 520exc and the plate to ride it down the road.Now I will get a good ride on one of these 520exc to see if I really could live with one.HA!
Late
Choppy

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
400SX to 520EXC ???

Extra- Why? What didn't he like about the '01- 400 SX? That is the one bike I would consider owning besides my '99-300. Give me a run down on the differences between your 300 and his old SX, if you wouldn't mind. Thanks,
Strick

Dec 3, 1999
The only reason he got the 520exc was so he could dualsport it.He liked the 400sx but he did not want to do all the stuff to change it over to make it street legal.The other nice thing is the exc has a taller 6th gear for going down the road.The one thing that did bother him was his friend had a 2001 426f and could out run him in a race.The 520 exc wins easy.Now as for my 99 300 I have the stock pipe and silencer with moose torque reeds and torque spacer,slp,power pack,45 pilot 175 main,7.o side stock needle in the 4th, 13\50 sprockets.His 400sx had 13/54.I think my 300 had better down low power and it would out run his 400 in a drag race.I like the way my 300 is like a 4 stroke down low and a 2 stroke when needed.His 400sx was ok but not the bike for me.He was coming off a 99/380 and he liked his 400sx alot over his 380.He said his 520 is like going from a 125 to a 380 from his 400 to the 520.That is what he said.I have only road a 2000 520 exc one time and they do run maybe since he has this 2001 520 i will get some seat time on it to see if my next purchase will be a 520 exc with a plate.
Later
Choppy

Last edited:

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
EC - thanks for the run down. I find it interesting that he likes the 400 more than the 380. I went from a '99 - 380 to a '99 -300. I like the 300 a whole lot better. But you buddy is now going back to the power of a 520. I could just not utilize the power of a 380. I am actually a lot faster on a 300. That 380 power was intimidating. So maybe the 400 power isn't enough!

Top Bottom