BermBuster

Apr 17, 2001
I've ridden my new CR250 a few times and here is my review.

Suspension - Great after a few clicks on the stiff side.

Brakes - Great

Motor - Boggs down low (getting a new pilot jet - 42) Also, I am buying a Boyeson valve cover for bottom-end power
Good power througout mid - high, however, I would love more midrange.

I would sacrifice some top for more low-mid, if anybody has some Pipe suggestions.

I ride tight tracks and like to stay in the low-mid range.

Handling - Great

Ergos - Great

I love this bike. I just need to get the power going throughout the whole range of rpm. Hopefully, jetting and valve cover will do it. Otherwise, I will be shopping for pipe, silencer combo. Or let Eric port it for me.

Does anybody

CRGuy

Posts Too Much
Nov 14, 2000
A SST pipe by FMF will give you better all around. I would go for the shorty silencer. It would give you more bottom and mid.
CRG

CRGuy

Posts Too Much
Nov 14, 2000
I just saw that you would do porting too. Porting will give you more bang for that hard earned dollar. Eric charge's 120-160 one of the two. I forget what it is. A SST is $333.00 and will make less power over porting.
CRG

BermBuster

Apr 17, 2001
Thanks. I'm really hoping that the drop to a 42 pilot jet will help the bottom alot. Surely the low-end power can't be that bad stock.

CRGuy

Posts Too Much
Nov 14, 2000
You can get all around porting if you want. Low-mid porting will help where you want and you should lose minimal top-end.
CRG

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
As a 2000 CR owner, I can tell you not to waste your money on pipes for bottom end...none are as good as stock (at least in my experience).

Try the power valve spacer. Buy yourself three extra exhaust o-rings (the ones between the pipe and cylinder) and insert all of them. This effectively lengthens the pipe and helps bottom.

As for jetting, I have found that at sea level, in my area, that I can go significantly leaner on pilot, when it's warm. Take the time to play with it, it's worth the effort, as is needle height.

If that is not enough, then do the porting. CRguys is right, you can get more bang for your buck that way, but be specific to whoever you get to do it, that you want bottom.

Good luck.

BermBuster

Apr 17, 2001
Thanks guys. I will be taking your well-worded advice.

I'm currently riding tight-supercoss style tracks, so low-mid is at a premium.

I'm also considering reducing the drive-sprocket teeth (by 2 teeth) if I get this low end bogging solved with the jetting.

2strokeBaby

Sep 5, 2001
:p I have a 2000 CR 250 and just installed a Boyesen Power Valve Cover and a Delta V-Force Reed Valve. I changed the jetting to 175main, 45pilot, and put the needle clip in the 2nd slot from the top. The bike has great power everywhere, strong on bottom all the way to the top, throttle response in great. My neighbor also has a 2000 CR250 that is stock, we switched bikes and there is definitley a big improvement. After riding his stock bike and then riding my bike, the stock bike seems to be hard to ride because of the lag in power and then a burst of power.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom