CR Cotton

Oct 8, 2000
Can anybody help me on how to add oil to rear Showa shock and bleed off? I had to the change spring and unlike most bikes you have to take the rebound damping adjuster off to get the spring off so of course I lost some oil. Any help would be thankful.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
How did you remove the rebound adjuster when you changed the spring?

CR Cotton

Oct 8, 2000
On the 2000 cr250 the seat that the shock sits in does not have an opening like most bikes, so you can not slide it off the shock rod. the shock rod connects to the rebound damping adjuster and bracket. You have to take it off to get the seat off.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Im afraid you have made a big mistake-the collers do come off as long as you back off the adjuster nuts on the top of the spring.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
To elaborate on what Marcus said -

1.Loosen the ring nuts that adjust the spring tension all the way loose so the spring flops about.

2. At the end with the rebound adjuster, separate the spring collar at the shoulder. Do this by holding the bottom out bumper and whacking that part of the collar that touchs the spring back towards the spring - if it is dirty it will appear to be one piece, it's not. I use a plastic hammer and whack around the edge evenly all around.

Once these pieces are separated, remove the wire circlip and then the collar can be removed.

See HERE for a picture. The wire ring is 21, the collar 31 separates from the piece with no number between the bottom out bumper 10 and shaft(rod) 9.

I hope that's clear.

Kiwi

CR Cotton

Oct 8, 2000
OK so I screwed up I just looked at it and the collar slides up revealing a clip or retaining ring. So do i have to carry the shock to a pro to get it filled with oil and bled off? I guess you learn fromm your mistakes. That sucks!

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Hey CR, don't bang yourself around too much, I've done my share of screwups too. Yes, you will need to take the shock to a pro, just treat it as time for an oil change.

Not giving you a hard time, but I am curious as to how you got the thing apart - they don't usually come apart there unless you clamp the shaft. How did you do it?

Kiwi

Top Bottom