Flyboy500

Mar 1, 2004
The motor has been completely rebuilt by Eric Gorr and I can't say enough about how nice of a job he had done. The only problem i'm still having is it tends to overheat while riding in tight woods trails. Coolant starts to come out of overflow when riding tight woods trails with hills. Could it be that some of the cores in my radiators are pluged? I use 50/50 coolant/non-tap water mixture. Should I also consider removing the plastic radiator gaurds and replacing them with an aftermarket type of guard to help increase airflow thru radiators? Any recommendations on coolant that might also help. I'm currently using Prestone and it contains no silicates. Any help would be great! Thanks... :thumb:

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Also, make sure that like you said the radiator cores are clean and that the water pump impeller looks good.

Engine ice did make a slight difference on my 500, but it may just be a higher boiling point.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
I've run a 1.4 cap and straight coolant with Water Wetter with good success - it won't make the bike run cooler but will help with boilover.

Run low gearing so that you aren't slipping the clutch too much, run in a tall gear and try to keep your speed up, if you are stopped at a bottle neck kill your motor.

Flyboy500

Mar 1, 2004
Thanks for the ideas. I took radiators to work to dunk them in a cleaning chemical designed for cleaning aluminum. Parts that are dunked in chem-film line come out looking like brand new. Part of our aluminum anodizing prep line. This process should remove any blockage in the cores and also clean the radiators to improve heat transfer. Buying a 1.4 cap and trying the engine ice coolant. Bottle necks is exactly where my overheating happens. Thanks again! It's Spring Happy and Safe riding!!!!

Top Bottom