2000 Honda XR 250 hot start problem

chazdo2

Feb 22, 2009
My XR 250 will not start when warm. I did not have this problem durning the Summer but when running it on the ice it starts right up cold, after I run it about 10 minutes then shut it down it will not start. I went through the valves again and the clearences are good. I cleaned the carb. What is the correct spark plug gap I have no manual. Please help!!!!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
What is your starting proceedure?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Check your pick-up coil. That is the small, square coil inside your right side case. They can overheat and crack. Bike will start when cold but not when it heats up. The values can be checked from outside the case but, it's better to remove it and visually check it for cracks.

Buy a manual. In the manual it will tell you how to check your ignition components and give the proper values to check them. You will need a good ohm meter too.

You can also remove your electrical components and take them to your local shop. If you're lucky, they will have the equipment and knowledge to check them for you. If they suggest just replacing the parts, find another shop.

Top Bottom