davearm

Mar 29, 2000
Can anybody give me any feedback on the 2000 ktm 125sx. How does it compare with the 2001/2002 in power, suspension, etc.
I found a leftover, and am trying to decide between leftover (new) or used 2001 or 2002.

Also, what do you expect a 2000 leftover should cost.

Thanks,

Dave A.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I don't think you will find many differences between the 00,01,02 models.
The engine is basically the same lil demon in all three.
There have been some changes to the suspensions. In 01 they added high/low speed adjustment for the shock, and the 02 model has totally new forks (bigger).
IMHO, the suspensions are fine for the spode in all three models, if you want it to perform you will need to revalve/shim any of them.

A used 00 should cost about $3500 or so, a new hold-over would probably be closer to 4000-4500....work on em and get them down, they want to get rid of it worse than you want to buy it.
All three models are the best 125's of those years(screw MXA). You will be happy with any of them.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I actually prefer the fatter bodywork of the 2000 as the 2001/02 is too slim IMO.The 01 didnt have the high speed shock adjuster but did have mods to the shock that made it more relaible.The forks are bigger on the 02 like jaybird said.I have heard the 02 engine is stronger down low then the 01 but a bit less on top and some poeple prefer the 01 engine.I would like the 00 with a 01 engine and 02 forks-that helps you i bet?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Marcus,
Do you know what they did to gain more low end on the '02?
I was under the impression that they did no major changes on the motor since '00. Did they massage the porting, different reeds?

I'm a bit like you...the mid-top power of the beasts is what's so impressive about them.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
They have made some fairly major changes since 2000-the 01 had a different bore and stroke and powervalves were altered.The 02 recieved porting straight off the works bikes of 01-unfortunatly the 01 works bike of Dobb is set up for good bottom and mid as he is heavy for a 125 rider so maybe thats why?I think the reed blocks were reduced in size to get more bottom-the engines from 98 upwards all feel similar with the later ones bieng easier to ride-they all put out similar peak power no mater what the mags say.I forgot to mention the 02 shocks are alot better in terms of set up potential IMO.So basically i would like a 02 with a 01 engine and 00 plastics-easy.

Top Bottom