Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
here's my situation, one time during riding, my rear brake locked up so bad that the rear rotor started to glow red. So i thought that there was air in the line. I bled the line with new brake fluid and also replaced the brake pin.

The next time out, it happened again, but not after a good 10 minutes of riding. Now i still wasn't sure what was causing this and i thought that i might not have bled it right or that my foot was resting on the rear brake peddle and dragging the brake.

This time i took the caliper off and greased everything up. I greased the brake pin and pumped the caliper all the way out, covered it in grease, and bled it back in(i did this several times).

Now, i'm sure that i bled the line right, and i know the brake pin is not holding things up. It still locks up after i ride for a while, but now i bring a wrench and crack the bleeder valve when it locks up and it will be fine for a little while after.

I'm thinking that i need to rebuild the caliper. I ride 95% of the time in sand, and i think that i got some in the caliper. Do you think that i need to rebuild the caliper and if so do you know where i can get a rebuild kit?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
It sounds to me like you have no freeplay at the brake lever.You need to have at least 10mm free travel in the brake before it activates the piston in the master cylinder.If not then maybe there is something stopping the master cylinder piston fully retracting-check this area for problems.

smarttoys

Sponsoring Member
Apr 29, 2001
If you still have the problem after checking the freeplay, disassemble the master cyl and make sure you don't have debris clogging the pressure relief hole. This hole gets uncovered when letting off the brake and allows the fluid to flow back into the reservoir and releasing the pressure on the pads.

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
Thanks for the replys, i never thought about looking at the master cylinder. I'll cheak it out.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom