kx100rider

Sep 2, 2001
I have just ordered the Ignition system from fmf. I was wondering if anyone has tryed this system out and has reviews or tips on how to install.

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
I've installed and used it before and heres my comments. For best results start by removing your top ignition coil and file clean the mounts on the frame for a better ground, that goes for all Yamaha mnotorcycles for the past 15 model years.
The kit includes an igniter box and a handlebar switch. Take care to clean the connectors from the bike's wiring loom before plugging in the new igniter. Wrap electrical tape around the rubber connector after its plugged together to prevent water from entering the connectors. Route the handlebar switch so the wire doesn't get pinched by the steering stop.
Regarding care, never powerwash the switch or the igniter box. I worked on a bike where the rider blasted it with water and it failed immediately. Later we switched to a Dynatech unit but this time I wrapped a plastic bag around the unit and just replace the bag frequently. Remember theres no warranty on that box so be carefull with it. The price is a good deal and way cheaper than a stock replacement box.
Regarding performance, don't expect it to work like the nitorus cannisters in the old Mad Max movies. The Wolf/FMF igniter box makes a subtle difference that works best when jetting is finely tuned to work with it. Regarding jetting, concentrate on the pilot/slow jet when the switch is set for "supercross" and the main jet when the switch is set for "motocross".
Good luck with your new accessory, Eric:)

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
Its easy, you're basically swapping out the igniter box and fastening a switch to the handlebars. No dealers needed, good luck

Top Bottom