MXrider27

Jan 20, 2006
ok ive been riding since i was 8 and i am now 18..i have always had 2 strokes and def think its time to get off the 85 expert i currently own..i am looking to get into racing..i have founf a 2000 kx125 for 1500 obo. the bike looks really clean i am jsut gonna go check it out and see how it runs and everything...is the a good year of a bike to buy if i want to use it to get into racing? or should i find a newer one..i know technology has changed in these bikes..but i dont really know how so and when...is it something i can compete with? id be sarting in the c class and working my way up

MXrider27

Jan 20, 2006
yeah i know that, ive just heard things like the newer bikes are way past the older bikes just cause so many things have changed? is this true?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
90% rider, 10% bike, better write it down. ;)

MXrider27

Jan 20, 2006
i know this, i know it is mostly how you ride and everything, but i know certain bikes handle better, and stock are better either low end, top end, suspension wise, etc. and i know the newer bikes are built differently, i just wanted to know if the stats on a 2000 is a big difference, otherwise i will try to find newer, but im pretty sure i think i can grab this for about 1300, which i think is a good buy

Patchy_125

Aug 2, 2007
Yes new ones are much better but i own also a kx 125 but 2002 (same as 2000) and i could tell you that i follow every new bikes .. I had my suspension revalved and work great... even if the bike has 7 years you can EASYILY follow anyone who has new bikes!! I think it better for anybody to start with this so when you willl buy i new bike you'll find it goes 100 times better and you'll ride 100 times more then you did with the kx 125... thats how i see it!!! i've got one and if you wanna jump 75 feet jumps go for it!!!! like they said 90% rider 10 % the bike !!!! And at 1300$ if its in good condition JUMP ON IT!!!

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I had a 1999 KX125. One of the best bikes I've ever owned. It was the most fun. Everyone should own at least one 2-stroke 125 in their riding career. They make a better rider of you.

mkelly04

Jul 27, 2007
MXrider27 said:
yeah i know that, ive just heard things like the newer bikes are way past the older bikes just cause so many things have changed? is this true?

Things definitely move fast in the world of dirt bikes.

I started with a 97 kx 125, then moved up to an 03 kx250 and now I'm on an 08 450 and you can definitely difference with the more modern bikes.

I'm not saying the old bikes are bad, but the newer bikes are way ahead in terms of technology. With my older bikes I had to spend money to get them where I wanted, renthal bars, reed cage to get more low end, pipe, suspension revalve, etc........

On my new 450 the only thing I have to buy is rim savers so I dont scratch the shiny black rims......

Top Bottom