mojoscojo

Sep 1, 2003
Hey all!

I just picked up a 2000 KX65 for my oldest son (8). Wicked bike! He loves it. Problem is, we primarily ride in the woods and the thing doesn't have an approved spark arrestor. I've been looking around the internet for an acceptable solutionbut have only come up with a "Sparky" and the FMF Power Core II. I'm not real fond of either solution. I don't like the sparky cause I can easily imagine it vibrating loose and falling off or getting knocked off in a crash. I don't like the Power Core II because it requires that I spend an additional $180 on an FMF pipe as well. The pipe that is on it is in perfect shape, not even a ding.

Does anyone have any experience with the "Sparky"?
Is the FMF pie/silencer combo really worth the ~$300?
Anyone know of any other solutions?

Thanks gang!
Scott

rybo3

Jun 13, 2002
yes, i have the sparky for a kx 60. i am not really impressed with it either. it does it's job as a spark arrestor o.k., but it is so big that it rubs on the back tire when the bike bottoms. other than that, i have not had a problem. i would much rather have a pipe and silencer from fmf, but it was $89 (sparky) vs. $200(fmf). it has never come loose from riding or crashing. i would say, if you primarily ride trails, get the pipe/silencer combo. i think it would be better in the long run. if you just need something to bilt on for the occasional trail ride, the sparky is tolerable.

kdx633

Aug 12, 2003
I have installed an fmf unit on my sons 03 and still used stock pipe.where did learn that you needed the pipe and sliencer combo.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I installed a fmf spark arrestor on a stock pipe (o3 kx65) had too do some cutting but it has worked..

mojoscojo

Sep 1, 2003
http://www.rageperformance.com/fmfpipes2.asp
Click on the KX65 link.

Same footnote in the FMF catalog at my local dealer.

Is this bogus?

I've run across alot of conflicting information and am getting very frustrated.

I've seen information that says the 00 is different from the 03.

Can I buy a Power Core II or a Turbine Core II and just bolt it on?

Nevermind. I'll just get ahold of FMF directly and find out for sure.
Thanks for posting.
I'll let you know what FMF says.

Scott

kdx633

Aug 12, 2003
on my sons bike the short pipe connected to the fmf s/a was actually a little shorter than stock aout 1/4 inch which was easily made up with the rubber coupling.It has been my observation that fmf tolerances vary considerably.Has anyone else noticed this?

Top Bottom