2000 Model KTM 250MXC - what to expect?

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Just getting back into this after almost 25 years, and came across a 2 year old 250MXC. What can I expect in terms of problems or known durability issues? I am looking for the ultimate do-anything bike. Probably will do mostly woods riding with my 12 year old (reason I am coming back to the sport), but it would be fun to run a few of the midwest H/S and enduros. Do the KTM's live up to the reputation of using superior materials & components? For example, how long before I might expect to need a top end, clutch plates, crank seals, etc. ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

B

biglou

23J-That bike is a fine bike. What part of the state are you located in? We have a pretty large group here in the KC area and we ride all over the place nearly every weekend. Shoot me an Email and/or visit the local chapters forums for info. We have a ride at Chadwick next weekend.

As for the bike, there are a few things that I would take a look at:
1. Check the lower shock mount bearing housing on the swingarm (this is the Hiem Bearing you hear so much about). The mudflap tends to rub on this housing and it will wear a scary groove into it over time. There are guards for sale for around $20, or you can take the mudflap off and grind the offending ridge flat (That's what I did).

2. The spark plug for this bike is one of those high-dollar items. You can switch to a different one, specifically a BR8EV or a BR8EG. I think the "EG" is the fine-wire model. That's the one I would recomend. You can get these at Autozone or O'Rielly's for about $3.30 each. The NGK stock number is #3130 (I'm sure about that number!). Once you switch to either of these plugs, you will need a different spark plug "skirt" to replace the stock O-ring since the less expensive plugs have a longer body. These skirts cost about $2.50. If you are near Letko Cycles in Bonner Springs, KS, just ask Jim L. He knows what you need. If you are closer to Topeka, talk to Mike Kruger at Cyclezone KTM. Both of these shops are great places to do business. Mike at Cyclezone also does great deals through mailorder if that is the route you need to take. This skirt forms a seal around the top of the cylinder to keep debris from falling into the hole in the top of the head-Very important!

3. Two years old is probably time for a top end, unless the previous owner left the thing sitting in the garge more than he rode it. Perhaps a compression test will reveal what kind of shape the top end is in. If it were me, I would just plan on doing it, so you know where it stands from this point forward.

4. As for the leaking countershaft seals, it's kind of hit and miss. Keep your chain a little looser than you think you should, and this will help in that area. Mine started leaking a while back, I took it apart and cleaned, then reassembled and it has been OK since. I still get a radial pattern of oil on the sprocket, which tells me it is still leaking a little, but nothing hits the ground when parked (That's when I change out the seal, the spacer and O-ring-$40 total).

5. The stock parts that come on this bike are top-notch. O-ring chain, hydraulic clutch, killer brakes, aluminum bars. There's not much to change on them unless you need to change the ergo's or just like putting on some fancier parts (like me!).

Enjoy! And shoot me an Email if you want to hook up and ride sometime with a bunch of us. We're not all that good, but we do have a great time. And, it should be a real confidence-builder for your 12 year old to beat grown men through the woods! :)

Wow! That was longer than I thought! Anyway-Here's a link to a thread about the Chadwick ride next weekend. There's also a short thread in the Local Chapters area under "Central Chapters". You and your son will surely have a blast. Here's the link: Click!

Last edited by a moderator:

VOR 492

Feb 18, 2001
Yes KTM's are great bikes, I bought a 2000 300 Exc last fall. Love it. Great bike for enduro's. I just ordered a new 02 300 EXC. You may want to look into a EXC model, different gearing and lights. Most enduro's have road sections, so you need to be somewhat street legal.

Top end can last for a year or two depending on the amount and type of riding/racing. Clutch: my 2000 still has the original clutch after numerious enduro's and a few H/S. This time of year you may find a great deal on a left over 01 or even a 02. Good Luck

fragildan

Apr 6, 2002
23jayhawk, I bought a 250 exc in 99. just got an 02 250 ecx. never been real brand loyal, always bought what I thought was best. I can honestly say from my experience you can't go wrong with a KTM. can't see getting anything but orange if you want to get your money's worth for your hard earned dollar. I have my 99 250 exc for sale if your interested. It's a clean great running bike that you can get years of use out of.

Top Bottom