eagles22793

May 25, 2008
I have a 2000 Yz125 and I have been having some trouble with the clutch. It was acting up on me when I first started it after winter. I would put it in gear and it will stall out so I tightened the clutch up at the lever then the clutch was on too much so I lossened it. Then I got it working great but it could never just stay where it is so it started acting up and will just stall when putting it in gear when I did not adjust anything just ride. I got a new clutch cable and fixed the problem but all of the adjustments are al the way adjusted out and I measured the friction plates and clutch plates and they were all good check for cracks and weak parts still nothing. Can someone put me in the right direction on what to look for or replace?

mathd

Oct 11, 2008
Did you check in your manual the adjustment for the clutch Push Lever on the clutch cover(right side of engine)?

drrm123

Nov 6, 2009
Have you looked at the clutch basket and hub? Make sure they dont have major grooves. Check bearing is rolling smoothly on the pressure plate and push rod and check push lever. Also check clutch spring height.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Actually looking at parts is important. Inside the engine, you need to actually measure some things. Any notches, in the basket or hub, bad. You may be able to file the outer tabs even, and notch free, a couple of times. But not notches on the inner hub. The friction plates get miked, the metals also and checked for warpage. The length of the springs is easy, a worn out hub is another story. Some can not be measured, but any ridge felt wearing over the outer edge with your nail, its likely scrap metal. The outer hub warps easier than the inner hub, on most. Any issues with 1 side, change the other, they do kind of mate together. What ever oil you use, change it every hard ride, or day of riding, at least. Always keep a little play in the clutch lever. The clutch will burn up, if it does not engage all the way, and/or is allowed to slip too long. There is no odor like a burnt clutch! Aluminum plates are a joke, replace them with steels when ever possible. A recent discovery that the magnum brand replacement parts, the basket and hubs, can be a viable, cheap option. I was scared of more china generic parts, Florida baby! Money is no object, Wiseco and Hinson are atop. The fibers can be a personal preference, but imo, Honda makes the best corks. Vintage Bob

SZKIRM125

Jun 10, 2010
I am in the process of replacing the clutch basket and plates in my RM 125. My clutch was sort of acting the same, when i pulled out the clutch out it was all worn and grooved. Just tear the clutch out of the engine and check it.

eagles22793

May 25, 2008
I replaced the clutch plates and friction plates and used a file to make sure there were no grooves on the basket and that fixed the problem

Top Bottom