Arlis

Nov 17, 2000
I have a 2001 200 EXC that has a slipping clutch. Sometimes, I've noticed the clutch dragging a bit when the bike is in neutral until the bike warms up. The slipping seems to diminish some once the bike is warmed up, also. I'm inclined to believe I need new springs and/or plates but haven't torn it all apart yet.

I've verified that my clutch lever has an appropriate amount of freeplay and the clutch fluid has been recently changed and bled.

I'm curious if anyone else has had problems with the 125/200 clutch and if so, what was the solution. Also, does anyone have the clutch plates service tolerance information? I find the spring length in the owner manual but nothing about plate thickness.

If you've got any tips/tricks on clutch inspection/rebuild for this machine, it would be greatly appreciated.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
i've had 2 of the 200s, & they are all the same in this area--the problem is that some of the plates are aluminum. this lets the bike rev a tad more freely, but the alum plates wear out. they tend to go all of a sudden, too, so you are lucky that you have some time to deal with it (also lucky to get that much life from these plates in an '01). the easy cure is to go to all steel plates. there may be a micron more "flywheel" effect, but it was worth it to me. an added benefit is that the steel plates are really cheap.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Parts unlimited also sells a complete clutch kit under the Moose brand name.
It comes with new drive and driven plates in the steel variety and new springs.
I used it on Denises Bike and the clutch became much more linear and smooth.
Also no dragging.
If you don't want to pay KTM prices, try the moose stuff.

Top Bottom