MIKEN

Mar 13, 2001
I have a 2001 220 that I ride on very tight trails, (trials type stuff) and long steap hills and have a problem with my bike boiling the raditor fluid. The over flow bottle fills up and dumps the extra out. I had a 1990 200 and very seldem had it boil on the same type of ride. I think part of the problem may be the over flow bottle is right behind the raditor and it does not get enough air flow, it also seams smaller then the rear mount tank. Has anyone else had this same problem and do you have any sugestions? I thought I may try adding a rear over flow bottle like the old models and remove the original one??? It looks like their is a mounting tab still on the rear sub frame. Has anyone tride this?? The bike runs great and is stock except geard down.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Presuming the radiator is full I would start by checking your jetting I had a similar problem when I was pushing the jetting toward the lean side. I found that under high load low speed conditions the bike performed better with a richer main. I went up one size and that took care of the problem.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Um another option that you don’t want to hear is that the head gasket is leaking at high temperature & pressurising the rad therefore pushing it out the overflow & overflowing the bottle. Once it is pressurising the bottle it doesn’t matter where the bottle is or it’s cooling. This may be hard to test if it is only leaking at temperature.

Otherwise along similar lines, is the bike is getting damn hot & the fluid is being forced out the radiator cap. I would make sure the cap is healthy & the coolant fresh maybe with some water wetter added to aid cooling (Redline etc) to see if this helps.

It would be useful to check to see if the water really is at boiling temperature when it is coming out. Maybe if you place a couple of eggs in the overflow, 3 min should produce….

MIKEN

Mar 13, 2001
Thanks for the sugestions. The jetting seams right on, we tried a richer piolt and it did not run as good. I did a leak down test that seamed ok but it was not completely hot. I think the water is boiling because I can hear it gurggle and the head would sizzle water from my water bottle. I still may try the water wetter or something simular but I was not sure that would cure the problem.

Sage

dirtbike riding roadracer
Mar 28, 2001
I had a similar problem with the overflow bottle on my 99 220, I took it off and run without one, after the raditior blows the first 1/2" of coolant from the top the problem goes away. if the head gasket is leaking as mentioned above the problem will be there all the time, if you hold the engine at 4000 rpm'ish water should be running out of the overflow tube fairly constantly. another thing that helped my bike was engine ice, it pretty expensive, $15 for a half gallon, but it works pretty darn good. if you can't find it at any shops in your area email me and i'll let you know where you can find it. another thing, when filling the system pull the 10mm bolt out of the neck on top of the head, this will let air out of the cylinder while the coolant goes in, and don't use straight coolant or it will run hot.

Last edited:

Luv2Ride

Nov 21, 2000
Another victim with the overheating blues.

I had the problem on my first few rides and found that my solution was to drain the 50/50 mix that comes with the bike and use Penske coolant conditioner (8oz for about $3) and distilled water. I mix half the bottle with distilled water. As far as the overflow goes, do not fill past the lower level mark and you should be fine. Also be sure to bleed the coolant system of air, this is extremely imporatant. Another thing, do not put on those dumb Devol rad guards because your problem will resurface once it has been fixed or will get worse if you have not yet found a solution - I am speaking from first hand experience. Yes, you could buy engine ice or moose juice but IMO you would be wasting your money. The Penske coolant conditioner prevents rust and lubricates quite well.

Aloha and good luck.

MIKEN

Mar 13, 2001
Thanks for the great information. I will try the different coolent first. Hopefully it solves my problem. If not a may still have to try a larger overflow bottle.

Top Bottom