UFO

Apr 18, 2001
In the last couple of rides ive noticed that my clutch will slip a little as I take off from a dead stop. It makes kind of a howl sound when it does it. Other then that it seems to work fine as im riding.Has anybody else had this happen and what did you find to be the problem?

------------------

dstktmusa

Jan 5, 2001
The clutch plates will often dry out on the RFS'. With just over 1 quart of oil in the motor and not much directed at the clutch plates it is not unusual to hear a "howl" as the plates slip against one another. It tends to get worse while doing a holeshot. An easy fix would be to drill the inner hub to allow oil to get to the clutch plates. Back in 1987 KTM had a problem with their 250,350 and 500's and issued a tech bulletin to fix this type of problem.

------------------

UFO

Apr 18, 2001
Originally posted by dstktmusa:
The clutch plates will often dry out on the RFS'. With just over 1 quart of oil in the motor and not much directed at the clutch plates it is not unusual to hear a "howl" as the plates slip against one another. It tends to get worse while doing a holeshot. An easy fix would be to drill the inner hub to allow oil to get to the clutch plates. Back in 1987 KTM had a problem with their 250,350 and 500's and issued a tech bulletin to fix this type of problem.

I had thought that the 2001 RFS had holes already drilled in the hub. I heard it was one of the updates form the 2000 RFS.

------------------

Top Bottom