Ga426owner

May 10, 2001
Jeremy, I am a C rider jumping to B. I weigh 210w/all gear.
I have a 2001 YZ426 w/ .47kg forksprings, 100mm silkolene height.
At first this was a ideal setup. Now with more aggressive riding, the bike still lands great, but I am experiencing "pushing" during cornering, more than the usual amt. of push. Also, I have had to set compression on forks 4-6out to avoid bottoming. Does this sound like normal characteristics?(rebound set at 8-9 fork)
I would like to try to dial this in better. The rear feels pretty good, except on studder or braking bumps - it is a little excessive.
What are your recommendations for me,my weight from springs, front&rear to oil heights to rebound, low speed compression & high speed compression? Also, do you recommend any valving or midvalve adjustments? Also, what is the real poop on ATF vs. oil for the forks & shock? Thanks for your help:)

robmann

Dec 30, 2000
.47 in the front is good and the 100mm on the oil ht is good but you should have 8mm of preload on the springs. the rear you need 5.5 or 5.6 stk spring is a 5.0 which is to light for your weight and set you sag at 100mm comp LS 10 HS1.5, reb 8.
A revalve and a midvalve mod will help the forks also a bottoming control system really helps the YZ forks

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Rob, I am certainly not questioning your advise, but am wondering about that rear spring spec. I have a good friend with the same bike and similar weight, when I ran his info through RTs spring calculator, it indicated that the stock spring ideal ride weight is 200lbs. I found this a little surprisiing myself, but accepted it as I have had good results with thier specs before, but you have obviously a differing opinion, more along the lines I was originally thinking actually....just wondering.

Thanks

robmann

Dec 30, 2000
JTT,
I just ran it through RT and it says that the stk spring is good for 160lbs and they recommend a 5.4 for 210. I have found them to light on rates for some bikes and this is one of them.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Wow, I must be doing something wrong...I just ran it again, got "recommended 5.3" Stock rate 5.4, Ideal rider wieght for stock spring 200lbs.

2001 YZ426, 203lb rider, motocross, intermediate (or beginner, pro, or any of the above), standard height, age and stiffness

Whats up with that? Is their calculor confused, or am I using incorrectly?

robmann

Dec 30, 2000
I messed up with the RT chart and selected the WR426 so the stk spring is wrong in my original post (5.0) when it is a 5.4 but I still think that the chart is a little light for MX & 210lbs, I would use the stock RR spring for the Woods.

Ga426owner

May 10, 2001
Rob Mann & JTT, thanks for the response. A couple of questions:
1. the 8mm preload on the front springs. Are you saying, use the preload spacer, included with the Ebach (sp) springs? What is the issue if it is not used? I believe I did not install the spacer.
2. I believe the stock rear spring is a 5.4 on the YZ426. Is this sufficient for 210 weight, sorry I am a little confused.
3. Do you see a real value to midvalve & valving options? What do you suggest on this?

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Rob, thanks for yor patience, I just wanted to get it staight in my head.

Ga,
1. by adding some preload to your spring you will increase the ride height of the fork slightly (decrease sag), this will allow the fork to ride slightly higher in the stroke and perhaps help with the feel. Rob can clarify more.
2. Sorry, we got off on a bit of a tangent there...Rob is still saying that you would benefit from a heavier rear spring, and from watching my buddy at 203lbs, I would concur.
3. Rob is a valving expert and I am sure could help more, but my advise is to try the springs first and see how things feel. If you are still unsatisfied, then move to the next step of a revalve.

Ga426owner

May 10, 2001
JTT, I am still confused on the rear spring. Bike comes with a 5.4kg. Are you both saying to go to a 5.5 or 5.6kg rate spring???:eek:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom