2001 CR125 Easy way to drain fork oil?

Feb 23, 2005
We just did the seals on the forks, but unfortunately we didn't take a real hard look at the fork oil we had, and it was 15wt. Needless to say, the front suspension is HARD!

1st, is there an easy way to get that oil out?

2nd, I'm 170lbs, and anyone have any recommendations as far as fork oil weight? I'm an all around rider, hills, trails, MX, etc. Average riding, not crazy balls to walls.

3rd, the manual says that the fork capacity is 17 ounces. A buddy of mine said that sounded like too much. I called the Honda dealer and they confirmed 17 ounces. Do I want to vary the amount of oil depending on my riding style?

Thanks in advance! I hope to contribute to this site someday with the knowledge that I gain here!

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Just replace the oil as you did when you did the seals, a little left over 15 wt wont make a difference.You want to measure it by the airgap not amounts of oil, i cant remember the spec for the cr125 but typically its about 80mm from the top with the springs out and damper rod fully collapsed and all air purged.

Feb 23, 2005
Ugh, I was hoping there was an easy way to just losen a bolt or something without having to uninstall the forks again.

Any input on the other items is still welcome!

Fork oil weight

Fork oil amount

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
5wt oil ,you need more than one bottle to do both legs, but like i said you have to work on oil height not volumes.You manual should give oil height measurments as well as the total volumes used.At your weight the standard level is about right.

Top Bottom