SVTMc-G

Apr 1, 2006
2001 Cr250r...need help

Hey guys. I found a 2001 CR250R for $1450(was asking $1600). It has a fresh top end, machined 2nd and 3rd gear for better shifting, rebuilt bottom end, rebuilt forks, new clutch(except for the basket), the shock has been gone over, it has full pro circuit exhaust...and probably more. He said the carb had also been rebuilt but the floats needed lowered(the reason why it had some fuel draining from it...just a tad. the guy selling it bought it from a buddy who put over $2k in it. he said the guy had receipts but he didn't think to get them..considering he didn't think he'd sell it. typical "no time to ride" reason for sale. it was raced before the rebuild. it has less than 10 hours on it and it runs GREAT! (I froze while ridiing it...darn winter)

So what I want to know is...should I buy it? I was gettin ready to dump at least $1000 into my 89 cr250...so why do that when I can buy a newer bike that has already been gone through...and is...oh..12 years newer!hahaha(and feels 100 pounds lighter!) besides...the '89 rides like a cadillac on the trails...I can keep it that way!

do 01's have any issues to watch for. the bike's compression feels brand new that's for sure. Much tighter kick than my 89! SOOO....can you guys shed some light and give some help on this for me? I appreciate it! thanks ahead of time!
Matt

Last edited:

pradami

Sep 1, 2006
I have an 01 and i haven't really ridden it at all, except for down the road when i test drove it, but what i can tell you from what i read about the design is that the motor is one of the best that Honda ever made for the 250, they say it has the best powerband overall. I think they explained it as how they reinvented the reed system and everything, not exactly sure, i bought mine this winter for 1800 but it hadn't been rebuilt or raced and it didn't seem to have any problems that this one is having such as the carb etc. but it sounds like an overall good deal, don't feel rushed or buy with emotions because of how nice the bike feels, remember there are more bikes out there and you can find them for cheap if you look!!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom