2001 KDX idle problems

kawrider

Jun 27, 2004
Hey folks!
My cousin got a heck of a good deal on a 2001 200. It has seen a good deal of rough treatment but is in overall good shape. The bike idles well at warm-up and falls off when shifted into 1st gear. The clutch might need a little attention, the annoying part is when the throttle is closed from a good burst and the clutch is engaged the engine falls flat on its face! If you have enough enertia, you can dump the clutch and the engine will re-start. Pull the clutch in again and it idles fine. I had a similar problem with a 98 DX. that I never did work out. The 01' has stock reeds and cage, Pro curcuit pipe and silencer. The only other problem we can find with the bike is the rear wheel is GONE! all the spokes are loose and breaking. If anyone has one for sale, let me know. What year models will interchange? I'm sure 95 to 05 will work, but will anything older?
Thanks for the advice,
Dave

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
What you said.

The clutch needs some attention.

It is either a simple adjustment issue, or more likely the basket is notched.

You're not disengaging the engine from the transmission, even with the lever pulled.

Assuming the idle speed is correct and the airscrew is adjusted correctly.....neither of which is going to fix the basket. ;)

kawrider

Jun 27, 2004
I was afraid of that, The lever and perch have about 5 to 10mm. of play . I'm pretty sure that is within the specs as far as ajdustment is concerned.
Thanks, I guess I'll be pulling the cover now!
Dave

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…