Apr 9, 2009
2001 KDX220 - new pipe and jetting

Hello,

I recently bought a 2001 KDX 220. I had a new top end installed, had the KIPS cleaned, and an overall tuneup. Yesterday, I installed a new FMF desert pipe.

Stock was:
Main - 145
Pilot - 42
Needle - 3rd clip from the top
I installed the pipe and removed the airbox lid.
Now I have:
Main - 152
Pilot - 42
Needle - 3rd clip from the top.

I am running the stock 33mm carb and I am about 3500' elev. The temp right now is about 55 to 60 degree's out.

The bike is a little rough at idle, but runs strong around the 1/4 throttle. Once I rev it out beyond that, it gets doggish and flat (pretty much like stock). I checked the plug and it was a light brown colour (not oily). My fuel is mixed 40:1 and it puffs blue when cold, but still puffs a tiny bit when warm.
Any suggestions on the jetting?

Last edited:

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
did you cross up the stock jetting with the "now jetting"...kinda sounds like it and too the carb should be a 35mm stock.
do you let it get good and warm before you come to conclusions...they run like a sick pig when their not warmed all the way

what I'd do: 145 main 42 low jet. maybe even a 40 with your elevation but lets see what others say
recheck the kips, make shure the air box cover is removed.

Apr 9, 2009
Sorry, the title was a typo. My bike is a 220, so it has the 33mm carb.

The KIPS is fine and the airbox lid is removed. I read some of the jetting database on thumpertalk and it seemed that I should be around the 145 main, 42 pilot, and 2nd or 3rd clip on the needle. But thats how it was jetted stock, so I just put a bigger main jet in (left the needle and pilot jet alone.) I guess I could put it back to stock and see how it runs with the pipe on.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
yeah no ..stock is 160 main and 48 slow jet
remember if your at 3500ft you really need to find someone that is around that elevation and read their specs.
also air cleaner should be clean and oiled before you start.
don't worry with the needle untill you get it close (power from the topend)

Top Bottom