coloradoguy

Aug 6, 2006
I am new to the dirt, been a streetbike guy my whole life, but now live up miles of dirt roads and decided I wanted to trade for a dual sport or street legal enduro. I have a deal working for a KTM 300 EXC that is street legal with a supermoto setup and a dirtsetup as well; I am just curious about the bike in general.

How does a 2-stroke handle on the street? Is a 300 going to be an overwhelming amount of power? What is the maintenance like on a 2-stroke? Will I be tearing that thing apart to do in depth maintenance more then a few times a year?

I am 5'10, 165lbs, fairly aggressive on a streetbike and no real knowledge of the offroad world. Any opinions or advice is much appreciated.

Thanks!

bikesnob

Jul 5, 2006
What kind of street bike do you have now? I rode a KTM 300 EXC in the desert last Sunday, Compared to my KTM 525 it was pretty mellow. so as far as power it will be ok. As far as maintenance you should be ok,less than a four stroke.
That being said I would buy it for the dirt, and keep your street bike.
Good luck
Steve

coloradoguy

Aug 6, 2006
I ride a Raven 2005 R6 with a carbon fiber Scropion high mount. I wish I could keep it, I love my R6 and will miss it greatly, but it is just not pratical for me. Riding it down miles of dirt road to get it to the pavement just kills me. I don't even want to look at the paint on my undertail. :yikes:

bikesnob

Jul 5, 2006
coloradoguy said:
I ride a Raven 2005 R6 with a carbon fiber Scropion high mount. I wish I could keep it, I love my R6 and will miss it greatly, but it is just not pratical for me. Riding it down miles of dirt road to get it to the pavement just kills me. I don't even want to look at the paint on my undertail. :yikes:
How about checking out a KTM Adventure,BMW 650 Dakar
Kawasaki 650 KLR, Honda XR650L Suzuki 650? I think they would better than the KTM 300 for the street.

coloradoguy

Aug 6, 2006
I was looking at 650's, I really won't be on the street too much. Maybe just to get down to school and back occasionaly, I do have other means of transportation. This is something more for exploring the thousands of trails in the area and I am trying to stay away from a large bike for that reason. Otherwise I had someone offer me a sweet Honda 650 with GPS on the dash, all the bells and whistles, totally sweet bike - just big and heavy.

bikesnob

Jul 5, 2006
Ok how about this. The new KTM EXC's are street legal, a 450 EXC or 525 EXC might be up your alley. Also check out the street legal husky's :cool:

coloradoguy

Aug 6, 2006
I will look into those, though they are probably more then I am looking to spend. I am looking for a bike in the $3500 range, and the deal I have going for the 300 is perfect because he wants to trade for my R6 and pay off what is left on my loan.

bikesnob

Jul 5, 2006
coloradoguy said:
I will look into those, though they are probably more then I am looking to spend. I am looking for a bike in the $3500 range, and the deal I have going for the 300 is perfect because he wants to trade for my R6 and pay off what is left on my loan.
Sounds like a win win situation........Good luck to you.
Take care
Steve

Top Bottom