MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
Im still thinking of getting a new 125sx. I think it just looks so good. Are there anything that I would have to have right off the bat or can I race the thing stock? People always talk about getting new bars and sprockets and chains and stuff and that just seems crazy on a new bike. Also my cr is a 5 speed and thats the only thing ive ever had. How hard would it be for a spode like me to adjust to a 6 speed? Thanks

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
You can't go wrong with the new 125sx, it's blazing fast for a 125. The only thing i can think of holding it back slightly is ktm's suspension setup. It's raceable right outta the box, but you'll want to dail in the suspension. Shouldn't have any problem adjusting to a 6 speeder. In fact you'll find yourself rarely ever hitting 6th. Get the ktm it's a sweet bike. I woulda gotten one, but I really hate the local dealer. Thats the only reason why i got my CR over the ktm, local honda dealer is good. But next year i'm gonna get either the ktm or maybe the gasgas. But I'd have to replace the silver with orange plastics
smile.gif

Joe
'01 CR125

Motowrench

Jan 8, 2001
Hi Mo0_coW
BY ALL MEANS,,BUY THE KTM!!! We have had ours for for about 2 months now, and sure the suspension is a little stiff when new, but it's starting to smooth out rather nicely!!
The engine is AWESOME!! It handles good, and I can tell you from past experiences with KTM's (since 1977) They are very reliable & hold up really well!! As for replacing Bars, chain, & etc,,,,NOT ON A KTM!! They come with a Magura Fat Bar, Like a Pro-Taper, Excellent chain & sprockets, Excell wheels, The list goes on, But basically you can race the thing right off the showroom floor!! My only complaint about the bike, is a Hard Seat!! But thats nothing that a foam kit wouldn't cure,,,,HECK,,,the KTM is so much fun, you forget about the hard seat when riding it!!!!

GOOD LUCK
Motowrench

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
Well my bike is almost back together and im in that debate mode where I could buy a new bike to start racing or keep mine. I still havent decided yet. If I do its between a 125sx or a 250f and I dont want to start a debate on it. Most mags said the springs were "mini cylce" soft, is this true? If it is it could actually work out to my advantage because im so light.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I wouldn't believe that from a dirt rag, I'm 5'5 135 with my gear I bet the suspension would rock for me right from the start. I heard the qwick fix to make the fork better is to get rid of 5 wt and put in 10. The lack of suspension on the bike the motor would make up easy. I kinda think of it as like the old skewl CR's of the early 90's. But of course it isn't as bad. Once you dail in the bikes suspension the whole overall handling of the bike comes in line and the bike gets much better. Get the suspension revaled and its way better, stiffening the springs helps too. I personally don't own a ktm, I just know a guy who owns an '00 model. Ya I got to ride it a bit over MX style stuff. I love the motor it's the best 125 motor I've ever ridden. Handling is good I say it falls in line with a yamaha, still won't out turn a suzook or honda as easy but it can be done with alittle effort. The brakes are great and only get better once you start tweaking them out that and they look kewl. I know the '01's are much better than the '00's. I would hold onto your bike for alittle longer and wait for the '02's to come out. I like my '01 CR125 alot its a great bike, but it's motor isn't in the same league as the ktm's. The only other weak link with a ktm is I heard they subframes arn't the strongest in the world i guess they are prone to cracking around the welds, but this is rare. Try and get a chance to try out at least an '00 that is setup good you'll be surprized, just remember the suspension is influenced by all of that power.

SHIFT_619

Feb 5, 2001
Things fall off KTMs.
like silencer end caps and Dzus fasteners.
BUT THEY GO LIKE HELL!!!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by SHIFT_619 (edited 03-13-2001).]

mike_h

Nov 9, 2000
Those are called unproven blanket-statements. I have never had a silencer end cap fall off, nor any of the Dzus fasteners. This however sounds similar to the problems that MXA has to suffer through. Also, I always thought it was me that was so fast..., ohh well, I still love these bikes.

------------------
'99 KTM 200 EXC

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
Buy the KTM! In 97 I was looking to replace my 94 CR125, after reading the magazine tests stating that the motor had similar caracteristics and with all of the stock goodies I put down my deposit on a new 98 125SX. After I picked it up I changed the jetting and sent the shock off to White Bros. (I hear the stock shock works much better now), the right side up forks took some getting used to but other than that and have been extemely happy with the bike. I will definetly buy another KTM!

Bud-Man

Dec 5, 2000
As stated earlier, fix the suspension and the bike is awesome. Stock the suspension isn't well balanced (Stiffer in back) and harsh for a 160 rider. Once the suspension is set up it handles well too. I don't have much experience on the other 125s so I can't give you much of a comparison. I'm pretty happy with the bike right now but I'm going to experiment with the 18mm offset clamps. I think the motors reputation precedes it and the stock components are awesome too. I haven't had any problems with things falling off my two KTMs, but I also use blue loctite on everything except the spark plug
smile.gif
. (Then again I learned about this riding the jap bikes so don't blame KTM!) I think you will be very happy with the KTM.

JPrelude

Apr 17, 2000
I weigh about 175 with gear, so how will the stock suspension feel to me? Are the forks soft? Also, do people have problems with the forks being smaller (43mm). I can't wait to sell my damn bike so I can get a new 125SX!

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
The suspension might feel alittle on the soft side for you. I haven't heard anyone complain about the forks flexing more than the larger tubes more common on other bikes. Hell if you hate the 43's you can always get a set of 48's for 1500.

Top Bottom