OZKX250

Aug 26, 2005
Hi, I have very recently purchased (3 days ago) a 2001 KX100 and am having a problem with it breaking down at high revs and under hard WOT loads. When I bought it I wasn't able to test ride it, only start it up and listen. It started easily and revved perfectly. It had been well cared for but hadn't been ridden in about 9 months. After taking it for a good ride yesterday it was playing up badly. I automatically thought jetting but it doesn't do it every single time so its puzzling me. The previous owner said it was fine before its hiatus. I have tried a new plug and new fuel but haven't pulled the carby down or checked air filter as of yet. What would you guys recommend I check out ?? IE power valves, gunked up carb, air filter, jetting, CDI etc ?? I am hoping a dirty/gunky carb. It is a very clean bike with a total of 40hrs on the motor and 2.5hrs since a new top end etc.

Does anyone know how close the 2001 stock jetting was ??

Lastly regarding the spark plug and lead, am I supposed to unscrew the tip of the spark plug to expose the smaller threaded section for the plug lead to attach to ??

I don't have access to work on the bike until the weekend so I just thought I'd check what you guys here have to say in regards to where to start looking or what to look for. I appreciate any help that could be offered. :cool:

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Always start with the basics. Assume the bike sat for some time before you bought it. Since you already replaced the fuel with new, definitely open up the carb and clean everything out well. Use carb cleaner and compressed air to blow out the small passages for best results. An air filter service at this time would be wise, too.

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
OZKX250 said:
Hi, I have very recently purchased (3 days ago) a 2001 KX100 and am having a problem with it breaking down at high revs and under hard WOT loads. When I bought it I wasn't able to test ride it, only start it up and listen. It started easily and revved perfectly. It had been well cared for but hadn't been ridden in about 9 months. After taking it for a good ride yesterday it was playing up badly. I automatically thought jetting but it doesn't do it every single time so its puzzling me. The previous owner said it was fine before its hiatus. I have tried a new plug and new fuel but haven't pulled the carby down or checked air filter as of yet. What would you guys recommend I check out ?? IE power valves, gunked up carb, air filter, jetting, CDI etc ?? I am hoping a dirty/gunky carb. It is a very clean bike with a total of 40hrs on the motor and 2.5hrs since a new top end etc.

Does anyone know how close the 2001 stock jetting was ??

Lastly regarding the spark plug and lead, am I supposed to unscrew the tip of the spark plug to expose the smaller threaded section for the plug lead to attach to ??

I don't have access to work on the bike until the weekend so I just thought I'd check what you guys here have to say in regards to where to start looking or what to look for. I appreciate any help that could be offered. :cool:

Breaking down at high revs and WOT?

Do you mean it is sputtering?

Or is it simply dying when you rev high and WOT?

OZKX250

Aug 26, 2005
Its almost like it is starving for fuel. It will just go dead at WOT somerimes so I back off and upshift to keep up momentum and then try and give it some more again until it clears out sorta thing. Very hard to put into words.

mandark1967

Mar 12, 2007
If it ran fine before sitting, and it acts lean on the top end now, logic dictates you need to remove your carb and clean your jets out because you have some gunk in the main jet.

Make sure you remove all the gas from your tank and clean the tank out as well. It does no good to clean the carb if you run old dirty gas right back into your carb and gunk it up again.

Jan 3, 2007
OZKX250, i was out working on my bike for an hour or so because i blew the engine but it seemed that is was not getting enough fule but befor it was jetted perfectly. A week or 2 befor blowing up the engine i installed a new petcock. I now know that the res labled side is the on and the on is the res. and the off is off. So, what happened is i had it on reserve riding really hard and i ran it out. This really has nothing to do with your situation but it lead me to an idea.

So, mabe the internal fule filter is cloged full of crap and it making it seem like it has no power. Also, the lines may also be cloged up. Clean your carb and soak all of the jets and reasemble. If it is still not working please post.

OZKX250

Aug 26, 2005
It was gunk in the fuel bowl and main jet. Purrs like a kitten. Anyone have any idea if the stock needle and jetting in the 01s are pretty close from factory ?? As in is it worth playing with different needles ??

OZKX250

Aug 26, 2005
OZKX250 said:
Originally Posted by OZKX250
Anyone have any idea if the stock needle and jetting in the 01s are pretty close from factory ?? As in is it worth playing with different needles ??

Top Bottom