2001 RM 250 carb solenoid/wiring info needed

MassKDX

Dec 11, 2001
2001 RM 250 carb help with new EG top end

My friend bought this bike used and it had some porting done to the cylinder. When we were replacing the top end we noticed alot of the wiring was disconnected in a few places. Such as the solenoid to the carb for the main jet? My question is does this have any advantages or disadvantages with the solenoid being hooked up or disconnected? A few more harnesses were disconnected but we have connected them back to the service manual specs. We just have to torque the head and we are ready to start the beast up tonight. Just thought I would ask about the wiring before we started the engine up. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
They wrote some articles about the solenoid wire to the carb. From what they say, it's supposed to control the jetting at different rpms. They suggest to disconnect it to get better response throughout the range. I left mine connected and it runs great but you should also ask RM_Guy and see what he's done, he is the God of RM's!

ZOOK250

Oct 5, 2001
ive read on the net that disconecting the power jet will increase responce as well as widen the powerband on top not affecting the bottom end very much. do a search on the net. i think it was transworld mx type in 2001 rm 250 first impression at yahoo , it should still be there.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I read some of those articles and then gave Eric a call. He suggested keeping everything hooked up since the power jet and the throttle position sensor are tied into the elctronics.

MassKDX

Dec 11, 2001
RM_Guy,

I hear you know alot about these RM's. The cylinder has just been installed and was sent out to Eric at Forward Motion and the work done to it was a bore to a 275cc and mo better porting. The thing that strikes me funny is that the bike idles weird. It is not smooth at all. The idle jumps up and down. Is this normal? The bike is running 158/45 for jets with the stock needle in the mid clip position. runnign 93 octane and 32:1 ratio. I have not messed around with the jets too much yet. Although the bike has alot of power.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Check out the thread on cutting the slide in the Maintanence forum. It may not fix a rough idle but it does make for a smoother transition from from idle. Is your idle set too high? I have mine set so it will stall after 15 to 20 seconds and it idles fairly smooth until it stalls.

You may want to just give Eric a call. He may have better sugestions.

Good luck.

kbob

Nov 27, 2001
I just got mine about 8 months ago, I had it set perfect in the fall now its doing the same as yours. I think its the choke you can adjust it to a leaner or richer setting by turning it. This thing gets to be a real pain.

Top Bottom