2001 RM 250 Power Valve problem

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Trust me on this one, there's a problem with the two piece power valve on the 01 RM 250. The upper portion tends to stick to the inside of the chamber causing a polished looking ridge around the edge. Obviously, I experienced this 1300 miles from home and not at the local track.

I polished the top of the power valve and cleaned it and the chamber completely. This solved the problem but what I found was that prior to this, after the bike reached temperature, it would expand the steel valve causing it to stick in the port. This also caused strain on the actuator which then broke near the lower end.

Preventive maintenance would be to keep the valve clean and pull it out and polish the top portion nearest to the piston. Also, when tearing the valve apart, there is an 1/8" diameter pin approximately 4" in length that goes through the lower portion of the power valve. If this pin is not placed back in the same way it was taken out, it causes the valve to stick, even if you polished the valve. The pin works itself into the two metal cams on each side and it works one way. Even though the pin looks the same on each end, it won't work smoothly, trust me.

I was told that a 1999 power valve, springs and cams work better in the 01' motor but I'll probably stick with what I've got now that it works.

Just some info for anyone to save the headaches I had during DW!;)

Stew312

Jul 8, 2002
Part of the actuator broke because of the sticking valves?? On my RM, the actuator moves a spring which moves the valves with its tension, so if the valves stick (which they have, and boy were they stuck), nothing else will be harmed or broken. hhmm..

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Elk,
You mentioned that PM would have helped. How often did you take it a part and clean it? Mine has been prett clean everytime I have removed it and I don't remember seeing any polished surfaces. I'll look harder durung my winter tear down.

Thanks for the tip

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
The power valve is actuated by centrifical force from the lower end. When the motor is off, it moves freely up and down. I'm not real sure how the heck the lower protion broke off though. I think it broke when Billy touched it!:) The spring tensioner is on the left side and can be adjusted for different situations. I have it set just under 90 degrees which is where the stock setting shows. It opens up a bit easier and takes some of the tension away from the actuator.

I tear mine down once a year for a top end and all. My problem is that I trail ride also at higher altitudes and it loads up alot because I don't really adjust my jetting, just the mixture. I have to change from Golden Spectro though, that stuff sucks and really gunks everything up. When I tear it down next week, I'll post a photo of where it was sticking so you can look for it too.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Originally posted by a454elk
...Golden Spectro...
That's your problem ;)

There are 2 springs for the PV. One is on the left side that controls how soon or late the valve will open. The other is on the right side and is an over travel return spring that's suppose to prevent any breakage of the actuator rod (coming out of the case) by just deflecting when the PV is jammed.

I guess the bottom line is Keep Billy away from your bike! :confused: ;)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…