2001 RM125 Problems!!

gmacd

Jul 14, 2002
My 2001 Rm125 is shagged, it boggs out in 1st and second, it spews oil out the silencer (silencer packing soaked with oil), my plug is black and oily (br8es), well at this point i know it's not the plug i just got the bike like 2 days ago and i figured he ran rich in oil, he ran 32:1 i went 40:1 but it still spits oil, just a bit less than before though, i am so sad guys, i have a few ideas as to what it may be, but i am new at this so i could be completly wrong, ok
Jetting or maybe a crank case seal? Power valve? piston ring? there isn't any scoring on the piston or cylender wall, please HELP ME! AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Matt_H

Sep 13, 2001
Are you losing any oil when you change your tranny oil?. Are you running it hard enough for it to clean its self out?. Also the first thing I would do is change your packing in the silencer, see what you have for jets in it and lean it out it sounds like your jetting is out.

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
One word

Jetting.....

you need proper jetting. It's time to break into the carb and start jetting it. See what others in your area are running for jets, needle positions etc. And things should clear up

gmacd

Jul 14, 2002
Ok well jetting was definatly a concern of mine, but is there any sense in changeing the packaging in my silencer before jetting, would it get oily again?? As for running it hard enough to clean itself out, i'm not because i am learning. but me and my friend figured that the problem was in it's previous oil rich mixures, cloging the machine up, so he takes it for burns and does blow out all the carbon stuff. for now i'll jet the carb and get back to youse guys, thanks so much! i got a bike three days ago and i already realize what a great community the MX world has! It kick azz, one more question, i am 200 lbs, should my RM125 be able to wheelie with me on it? thanks alot!

Rockey5000

Mod Ban
May 6, 2002
Jetting will fix the prob. And yes, the RM should wheelie you. My often acclaimed by magazines UNDERPOWERED Kx125 wheelies my 200 pound ass with ease. When ever I roll on the throtttle from 1/4 to 1/2 the front end will never touch the ground.

gmacd

Jul 14, 2002
exellent, i traded my 92 5.0 liter mustang for my 2001 RM125, i'm so glad i did it, bikes are way more hardcore, i like the look of a nice bike in the back of a pickup WAY more than the look of a slow ass car. I'm getting my bike jetted tomorrow, and i am going to watch, my biggest ambition is to learn bikes inside and out.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I was just helping a friend dail in the jetting on his '01 RM 125 this weekend. The only changes made so far is going to a 27.5 pilot and I raised the needle to the 2nd clip position from the top. The made a good improvement and the bike ran alot crisper and I'm pretty sure the spooge from the silencer stopped.

gmacd

Jul 14, 2002
The oil is thick pasty BLACK oil, where would this come from?

RMtrooprider

Jun 13, 2002
I Have the Exact same problem with my 01` RM With the oil and ****. I jetted it right checked everything over,and it does it really bad. I rode it this weekend while it was acting up and I broke my rist. I hate the ****ing thing, I stuck more than $800 into fixing it.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
Check to make sure your mail seals could be leaking last year my brand new '01 CR 125 had this problem from new.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…