McRage

Jan 13, 2002
I'm looking at a couple bikes and either would work, but I'm concerned about the premature wear and tear that enduro use could cause...

The 2001 was used for enduros and the owner is a mid 50's expert ("A") rider. Purchased in June 01. My observations:

New Bridgestone rear and front - tires that came off were trashed (most knobs gone or severly damaged - said to have been the result of riding in sharp rocks in Nevada)

The pipe had several large dents (said to have fallen over during a photo shoot - again on sharp rocks out West)

The seat is new, however it came from the owner's new 02. The original was worn on both sides - looked like from mud riding.

The bike was fairly clean, but there was still evidence of mud residue

The 00 is trail ridden by a mid 50's CCC member in Northern Michigan. The bike has all the usual aftermarket goodies...bark busters, pipe guard, disk guards, chain/engine protector, etc.

Both bikes started fairly easily, although it was only in the low 20's and the 01 had to be flooded and it took 7 or 8 stabs to light it up.
Both bikes sounded tight.

My concern is the wear and tear on bushings, bearings and seals, caused by enduro use and mud riding.

I like the newer look and see through tank on the 01, and I suppose the 01 is worth more than the 2000 just because it is newer. I plan to look into a softer seat for either bike, and would replace the pipe on the 01. I wouldn't have to do much to the 00, except fix a small dime size hole in the seat vinyl.

00 - asking $4,200

01 - asking $4,500

I sure would appreciate your opinions.

Jeff Davis

Mar 15, 2002
Try calling or E-Mailing different dealers. I just bought a leftover 01 300 EXC for 5000. The extra 500 or so dollars would be worth the peice of mind. Plus your not replacing sprockets, chain, tires, ect. It even come with a warrenty. You are deffintly on the right track the 300 has to be the sweetest bike made.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
It's hard to call from afar. I'd lean towards the 01 because the suspension was markedly better in 01 (00 was the first year for the 43mm USD forks and they had some, correctable, problems) and the piston is one year newer.

You should tear whichever bike you buy down. Check and lube every bearing, check rear wheel spacers for wear, etc. Pipes can be straightened for under $40. But you have to judge the overall shape. Getting the suspension done is something you may have to do for either bike so I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor if there are other bigger worries with the 01.

Top Bottom