2001 XR250R exhaust and airbox mods ?

Timothy

Oct 1, 2001
I just puchased a used 2001 xr250r. The bike is stock. The bike feels great but needs a little more power. I have read about making airbox and exhaust mods to the stock components, but I am not sure how to remove the exhaust baffle. I think that it may be welded in. Any help would be appreciated. Also do I need to make a jetting change after these mods?

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Hello,
Yes, I'm pretty sure the baffle is welded in on the '98+ models. If you can get to the weld, you could grind it out maybe. If you wish to keep the stock exhaust you can put in a Vortip insert, or Thumper Racing insert. Both supposedly keep the noise (and price) down while increasing airflow and responsiveness. Both are sold at Bajadesigns.com.

Personally, I use XR's Only Competition exhaust. It's a tunable Supertrapp type pipe that looks great and gives excellent responsiveness. Remove the intake baffle on the top of your airbox, install a UNI or K&N filter, and the recommended jetting from XR's Only, you will be good to go. I went the XR's Only route on my old '87 XR200, and now my '96 XR400 with excellent results in both cases. However, now I'm considering one of the Mikuni Pumper carbs, which XR's Only sells also.

I've heard good things about the White Bros. and FMF pipes also. However, if buying from a standard retailer, they probably won't be able to help as much on jetting recommendations, which really makes a difference to me.

Use a good "4-stroke" motor oil in your bike, no automotive stuff. Trust me! I recommend Pro Honda GN4, and change it and the oil filter, as well as the air filter religiously. Good luck, keep on thumpin'!

xrthumper250

Oct 23, 2000
Baffle

I have a 2000 XR250. I removed the baffle by removing the sm screw on the bottom of the tip and used visegrips and a hammer to remove. I was not welded in on the 2000's.

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Hello,
In reply to Rich's post about my "Trust me" remark...

I used to use automotive oils in my old '87 XR200. One day, while at the Honda shop I picked up some GN4 and tried it. I immediately noticed smoother shifting. Neutral clicked into postion better and more consistently, shifting was easier, and much quieter. I could feel less friction when I shifted. In my mind, less friction in your tranny is a good thing.

When I bought my used and abused '96 XR400, the previous owner admitted to using automotive oil. As I expected, shifting was very rough, giving a distinct metal to metal "clak." I immediately changed the oil and used GN4. Again, I immediately noticed a distinct smoothness and quietness in shifting.

When my riding buddy bought his '97 XR400, it also shifted very loud and hard. Again, after putting in GN4, he noticed much smoother shifting.

In my limited experience, Pro Honda GN4 lubricates your tranny better than automotive oils. Actually, I would guess that any "4-stroke motorcycle oil" would lubricate better. Furthermore, as you know, automobiles use tranny oil, separate from the motor oil. Why don't you use motor oil in your tranny on your car/truck??? Or do you?

I'll admit, I was wrong to tell somebody to "trust me." None of you have any reason to trust me, or anybody else here for that matter. I've learned alot from these forums and other forums like this one about all kinds of subjects. What makes these places great are because of all the opinions that are shared. When I have first hand experience on something, I will gladly share my opinion. I simply hope that I can help someone else, as I have been helped in the past.

With all due respect, to the moderator of my favorite "Thumper Central," what is your take on the subject? Without getting defensive, and trying not to get banned, why did your question my simple remark with such BOLDNESS?
Or were you just trying to get me to explain myself better, and I took it the wrong way?

Either way, it's all good. I'm ready for bed, and my fingers are sore from typing. Good luck to all of you. Keep on thumpin'!

Top Bottom