southrider

Oct 11, 2006
I just purchased a 2001 XR250R to ride around with my son. Any good advice on the bike?.....I would like to fix the bike up a little, with new graphics and such.....anyone got any good suggestions?

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Excellent trail bike. The stock 41mm forks flex a bit so a fork brace is a good mod, especially if you ride a lot of sand. Leave the engine stock if you are just riding with your son. It will last nearly forever if you do regular oil changes.

Draybob

~SPONSOR~
Sep 29, 2002
First thing is to uncork the thing. There's a lot of info out there about "Gordon Mod's". These nearly free mods will wake up the stock engine a bit and make it start easier after you've dumped it on its side when the motor's hot.

Having it sprung for your weight and putting a fork brace on it will help the handling a bunch.

If you're a taller rider, I would recomend a new upper triple clamp that will move the bars up and forward. I would also get a taller set of bars and a tall seat. I'm 6'2" and this helped with the ergonomics of the bike for me. I put on an SDG tall seat, Applied Racing Triple Clamp, Moose Flex bars with the Burleson bend.

Overall it's a very dependable bike. You can beat the crap out of it and it will just keep coming back for more. I've raced mine in Harescrambles and put some hard mountain miles on it through some rough conditions and my 2001 is still on the original motor and doesn't burn any oil.

Have fun with your kids! I certainly enjoy the time with my boys everytime we go out!

southrider

Oct 11, 2006
Thanks for the ideas. What is a fork brace and where do I get one...dennis kirk?

I am definitely getting some new bars...any suggestions? Renthal?

What about graphics.....? What's the best for a 2001?

Draybob

~SPONSOR~
Sep 29, 2002
A fork brace straps across the forks at the lower end of the accordian boots just above the front tire. It stiffens up the forks so the front end has less of a tendency to swim around when crossing ruts or riding in deep sand. Basically it helps keep the front end going the way you point it.

Summers Racing makes one as well as Superbrace. I have the Summers Racing brace and have been very happy with it. I bought mine from MXSouth. They had the best price that I found. Here's a link.

Click here

450X

Test It!!!
Mar 25, 2007
i had a 2001 XR250 i had ONE Industries graphics on it looked pretty sweet (out of Dennis Kirk). my brother owns the bike now, they are an awesome bike and nearly indestructable.

Top Bottom