reyals

May 17, 2006
Hi, only my second post! I am somewhat new to dirt biking but have rode many street bikes, I have ridden yz250 and KX500. The 500 was my kinda power. I am 6'4 310 lbs.
Been looking for a 4 stroke and currently looking at a 2001 XR650R. It can be had for less than 3K, maybe 2700. The owner has hit hard times.
Bike has had the road kit; headlamp, brakelight, signals. Owner says he installed the kit along with the 'baja' kit, said it was opening up the carbs, jetting and a pipe mod? He claims it is over 70 HP and will run 100 mph. Also says since it's an 'R' not and 'L' it has better suspension. Is this believable info?

Is the 650 considered a reliable machine? Is it worth the money? It is in excellent condition, odometer reads 326 but that could have been added? or disconnected...tires, footpegs, handlebar, brake/cluth levers look like it's believable mileage.

I plan to ride mainly two tracks and trail, minimal jumping, and the occasional straightline drag race for fun. I am not planning on kicking anyones ass on it! I do plan to ride asphalt with it occasionally, about 5-10% of the time.

Heres a link to my first post, describing me. I was looking at a Kaw when I posted this one....but I didn't buy it, wife spent the money..............

dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=134383

think you'll have to cut and paste, forum seems to not like links?

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Sounds like a good choice for you. The bikes are fast and reliable and should lug you around just fine.

onedesign1

Oct 31, 2006
Wow at 310 # that’s going be a problem to get the suspension to work correctly on any bike, but for the money I’d go with the XR650 any day. Don’t expect to keep up with the smaller guys as physics are in your disfavor. But as a fun machine with lots of power you cant beat it. Suggest once you get a few rides you spend the $ to get the springs replaced But I don’t think fork springs are available to accommodate that weight so you might consider a air assist fork set up.
And if you don’t buy it you might let me know where it is at so I can possibly buy it. I live in central California. And am looking for a good 650r

650r

Jan 16, 2007
hi guyz

maybe someone can help me on this:

im lookin for a lockable fuel cap for the xr650r, does anyone knows somethin here?
i wanna stop those kids from pizzing in my fuel ... it kinda reacts with the performance of tha bike ya know ;-)

for those of you who are thinking about other solutions -> im livin in a big city and i simply cannot shoot all of em...

cya

Top Bottom