nickman1209

Dec 29, 2006
I Have A 2001 Yz 125. I Have A Fmf Gold Series Pipe, Fmf Shorty Silencer, Wiesco Top End. New Dunlop Tires. I Have Been Riding For 4 Months And Want To Start Racing In April. Is There Anything Else That Would Be Good To Add To Help Me Out A Little?

KX250Dad

Dec 4, 2006
+1 Skill wins races...
That having been said I believe suspension set up is more critical than any cool slight hp add on. Take a step back to understand suspension especially if your talking MX racing. You've got to master suspension tuning on your own as it changes from track to track not to mention a tracks condition on any given day. Around here many younger riders are proud to advertise they had **** set up their bike... they didn't learn a thing and truth be known the set up they (their parents) paid high buc's was not monies well spent and only provided a baseline to change. To become a better pilot if nothing else understand jetting and suspension so you can at least effectively communicate what's going on to someone who knows the mechancis involved to impart the required adjustments.

Bottom line with MX racing and hitting the podium rests with your not only knowing how to ride but knowing how to optimize what's already on your bike to complement your skill... this requires a fraction of the monies you've already spent with the add-on's.

hellbertos

Feb 17, 2004
I thought I'd throw my .02 in here briefly from my racing days...

Great points about the bike guys, but I thought I'd add a couple more subtle points...

General Bike Maintenance - Very key. Don't just ride it during the week and chuck it in the garage until race day. Prep it throughly before race day and you'll feel alot more confident when you go to the line... Filter clean?? clean it; oil changed?? change it(if necessary); haven't repacked your silencer in a while?? pack it; make sure every bolt is snugged down; clutch and throttle adjusted; brakes!!; etc. I know it helped my confidence that the bike was ready to go... esp. when you see some guy w/ a zip tie holding on his side panel or w/ a beat looking bike... you are already ahead of that guy in the mental game.

Your health and fitness - A nice after market pipe and a fresh top end will give you nice crisp power and an extra couple ponies, but if you wear out before the checkers, it won't really matter. Even as a teen, when I started eating right and training, I saw a difference in my results. I didn't go crazy, but adding a couple days of running and weights to my weekly routine and eliminating some of the junk food from my diet actually did help. I HIGHLY recomend eating a healthy meal the night before and the morning of race day as well as staying well hydrated throughout that time (= lots of water, not gatorade, sodas, energy drinks, etc.). You might not notice it in the throttle of your bike, or even feel much different yourself, but you will notice it at the end of the moto.

Oh yeah, practice lots... especially starts!!!

Good luck, be safe and have fun!!!

Top Bottom