2001 YZ250 Swingarm re-assembly question

gator kdx

Oct 30, 2002
I just got my motor back from Gorr - can't wait to fire it up this weekend - and was putting it back in the frame when I noticed something strange.

I was wiggling the swingarm around trying to get it to match up with the engine mounting holes (for the swingarm pivot bolt), when a collar/washer dropped from the front of the swingarm assembly.

I checked the swingarm and there was not another one like it, I also didn't have one in my bag of hardware from the disassembly. I scoured the manual for several hours and didn't see any part like this with a quantity of 1.

Just to give a description of the part, the inner diameter is the same size as the swingarm pivot bolt (but not big enough for the swingarm bushings to fit through). The outer diameter is roughly 1 inch and seems to fit well in the outer sides of the swingarm next to the bushings - acting as a separator for the swingarm and frame. The collar is roughly 1/4 - 1/3 inch thick, much more than a typical washer.

My best guess is that this is what the manual labels a 'collar' and fits between the bushings in the swingarm and the frame. I checked on bikebandit.com (2001 yz250n1) and this part is #9 on the diagram for 'rear arm'.

My question is, from somebody with more experience than me, am I correct in guessing what part this is and where it goes?

Also, is there no collar/washer between the inner swingarm/engine surface? Again, by looking at the manual and bikebandit.com schematic it appears that the only part is the oil seal which fits inside the swingarm.

Thanks greatly in advance for the help,
John

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Is it flat or does it have a raised portion on one side that is a smaller diameter? They do have collars that fit between the frame and the bushing, that way the metal doesn't rub on the bushing. You should have one on both sides though.

gator kdx

Oct 30, 2002
It isn't raised or asymmetrical. It looks like a washer except for being much thicker (it is roughly 3x thicker than the washer that goes on the end of the swingarm bolt - and has a slighly smaller outer diameter).

When you say one on both sides, do you mean 4 total - one on each open side of the swingarm (frame/swingarm, swingarm/engine, engine/swingarm, swingarm/frame)?

Or 2 total, frame/swingarm and swingarm/frame.

Sorry if my description makes this more confusing, its hard to describe the areas uniquely.

Again, thanks for all the help,
John

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Usually there washers have a small collar that fits into the side of the swingarm which holds them into place. And sometimes they are just flat washers that get stuck to the side of the swingarm bushing and it looks like they are attached but they are just flat and stuck. That would be my guess, something that thick sounds like the latter. Take off the swingarm and look at all sides of the bushings, it'll be fairly obviuos hopefully. If you have your manual, it should also show the entire setup as well.

gator kdx

Oct 30, 2002
I think you are correct that they are oversized washers that 'appear' to be stuck to the side of the bushing.

I scanned the manual again, but unfortunately it really glosses over that section of the swingarm (I guess it's straightforward for most people?). The manual doesn't indicate if the parts it's showing sit inside the swingarm channels or ride between the swingarm and the frame.

Thanks for the quick responses, any more feedback is greatly appreciated

gator kdx

Oct 30, 2002
Thanks for the link, I took a look and it looks like the same picture from my service manual, and bikebandit.com. However your picture is much higher resolution.

I believe that my mystery part is part #9 from that diagram, a collar. If anybody is familiar with this bike, is the collar recessed inside the swingarm channel or does it sit between the edge of the swingarm against the bushing (on the diagram the bushing is also called a collar - part #10) and the frame.

Thanks again, this forum is a lifesave, best resource I've found by far.

gator kdx

Oct 30, 2002
I ordered two of them from my local yamaha shop. I sure hope I'm right about them.

Probably the only thing worse than riding with a suspension part missing would be riding wish a part missing and put where it's not supposed to be.

gator kdx

Oct 30, 2002
Thanks, hopefully the parts will be in before the weekend.

After reading a bunch of ride reports from others with the gorr port & polish, I am going crazy waiting to ride it for the first time. Hurry up and get here weekend.

Thanks for all the replies

Top Bottom