2002 125 low-end?? and JD Racing Ignition?

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
My son's CR125 has a JD Electronics Racing Ignition and I'm not familiar with this type of set-up. I checked the webpage, and it discussed programing to set the curve, but will we be able to get more low-end? The bike is super strong and quick mid-to upper range, but feels gutless down low. It could be that I ride big 4-strokes (Husky 570) and am just not use to such a week sized motor. He's 13 years old and feels it's fine, but I can see him having problems off the track in trail riding conditions where he will need the low-end drive. One other option would be flywheel weights, do they work well for the 125's. If so what brand and how mush weight. He rides tracks less than trails and I feel he'll be looking for that low-end like he had with his last 4-stroke.

Thanks for any input.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
You wont get more low end from a 02 cr125 -they just dont have any, IMO its because the pv doesnt seal well against the piston, i did loads of mods to my 02 cr125 and it never had much more bottom end than std,best to just try a bigger rear sprocket, i have never used a flywheel weight so hopefully others will help on that topic.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
ed, i am sorry to say that a pipey high revving mx bike like a cr125 will need more than a heavier flywheel weight to turn it into a xr250 trail bike. generally the weights tame down a stronger engine, they work well on 250s for example and make them nice and linear and tractable. the cr125 is weak engine wise, so it might kill that last bit of power the bike has got...it wont add bottom, but it might take top.

generally, tweaking ignitions has little effect on power also.

instead, this weekend i think you should forget the trails and bring the lad out to REM!:) its the first week we are racing that big hill.

Top Bottom