CRPilot

~SPONSOR~
Apr 5, 2000
I've been thinking about the new Trailblazer but would like to hear some real-world feedback about its towing capabilities. A couple of bike will not be a problem, but I also pull a 3600lb boat /trailer package. Mostly local pulls, but I do make 1 or 2 longs pulls a summer (5+ hours). It would be a driven to work every day (45 miles round trip) so I was trying to avoid the V8 for economy reasons.

Has anyone out there have one or towed with one before?

Any experience or input would be appreciated.

Ensign

Oct 13, 1999
I don't have personal experience towing with this vehicle, but I think the tow capacity is over 6,000 lbs. You should have no problem towing 3,600 lbs, especially with the power that engine makes.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
I've got a '99 Blazer and it will handle that weight, no problem. The new Trailblazer (code name GMT-360) has a lot better structure, and the new in-line 6 has a lot more power. You should have no problem.

CRPilot

~SPONSOR~
Apr 5, 2000
Is your 99 an S10 with the 4.3l vortec or the full size Blazer??? If it has the 4.3 l will disagree that it handles it 'no problem'. I have the 95 with the 4.3 and yes, it does pull it, but not well. 0-60 times around 45-50 seconds is not good in my book, plus the air conditioner is a definite no-no. The engine temps climb and it wants to downshift from drive (not OD) at 55-60mph. It simply works that engine too hard.

Two years ago the head gasket blew on a long 5 hour pull at 60 mph.
Last year (same annual trip) the main crank bearing shattered and sent the pistons into the head.

Now I have a new engine, but want a new truck.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Yes, it's a 4.3, and yes I have no problem with that weight. I'm not sure if they put different differential ratios on these or not, but I can pull a lot more with this than other vehicles I've had. I've not experienced the issues you've described with mine.

That's not to say, however, that the '99 Blazer is a great truck....I've had nothing but problems with mine. It's a 3-year lease company vehicle, so next summer new truck time.

Good luck on your decision.

CRPilot

~SPONSOR~
Apr 5, 2000
Yes they do offer different axle ratios. I know I do not have the towing ratio (I don't recall if it's the 3.73 or 3.43 -????)

Your right though, it would make a huge difference.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
CRP,
If it would make any difference in your decision, next year GM is launching the stretch version of the Trailblazer, with a third back seat. It'll sit on a different wheelbase, but I believe the powertrain is the same.

teton

Dec 13, 2000
Check the price out first, they are almost the same as the Tahoe with a V-8 and the gas milage rating is very close. I heard an advertisement for a 2 wheel drive loaded for $28,000.00. Same goes for the Toyota Highlander, they run about $32,000.00:scream:

CRPilot

~SPONSOR~
Apr 5, 2000
I'll have to do some more checking. The Tahoes in the area (WI) are going for 38-42k depending on options while the loaded Trailblazer is 32.5k. I haven't seen any Tahoes for less than 38k new.

Top Bottom