Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Chad Newton of Total Control Suspension gathered in our first 2002 CR250.. I'll have some photos soon but there are some very intresting changes for the new models.

Namely in Honda's obvious effort to lighten up their models the 250 gets AL fork rods with a Gold coating.. We are not sure yet if it is a anodize or a TI nitriding..(some AL aloys can be). I'll be doing some conductivty tests to find out.

The shock uses a very funcky valving and a top out SPRING!!!!! YEs a top out spring.. The top out spring would in theory trnasfeer less jar to the rear wheel as it tops out over bumps. It's a short die like spring that will have a relatively long travel, and be completly compressed at static. This is allmost like the 2000 RM's with the long internal fork top out spring... Contractive suspension here we come.. I'll post pictues up soon..

Regards,
Jer

MACE

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 13, 1999
I always thought that a "topout spring" would be the cat's pajamas for doing lowering jobs.

And gues who's finally got time to install his shock cheese valve today.... Just got back from picking young one up at school and it's time to hit the "den" and finish the job. Ahhhh, sublime......

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Here is the 2002 CR250 Top out spring that we talked of... The standard bump is still in place however the spring will control just over 1inch from full exstension. This should really help on tracks with big breaking bumps. Honda has moved over to old style valving which I don't beilve makes much sence. They are back to a very light low speed rebound but a very progressive mid abd high. It is very hard to adjust for a range of condtions and overall makes the bike a pain to deal with. I beilve they where hoping that the Top out systme would do some of the work for them.

Attachments

• 2002 cr250.jpg
    2002 cr250.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,055

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
2002 CR fork Rod

The 2002 CR250 Fork rod is a new and very cool item. I have been exspecting Showa to produce this component for years. After KYB altered there design and went to AL rods I assumed it was only a matter of time. The valving remains unchanged however the new materials saves major weight.

Over all using a good tuning guide and seting up for each track will get the job done on the 02 but some rework is in most serious riders future.

The top rod is the 2002 the lower is a leftover chrome 12mm from a older Showa..

Attachments

• 2002 cr250 fork rod.jpg
    2002 cr250 fork rod.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,040

Bud-Man

Dec 5, 2000
Jer,
Very interesting on the top out spring. What are your thoughts on it's impact on measureing the free sag of the bike? Also, did you guys determine what the coating was on the damping rod shaft?

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
The 02 CR 250 has the best out-of-the-box suspension of any bike I've ever owned!
Thanks for the pics and look forward to any future analysis.
regards

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Budman,
The spring is very light, but a minimum free sag of 20-25mm is completlty normal with this bike. I'm already on a retrofit.. I've been working with for a few weeks.. Also trying to locate a good source of diferent springs and lenghts..

Regards,
Jer

cr-man

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 6, 1999
Hey Jeremy,
How's the testing going on the 02 CR250? I have quite a few rides on my bike now and the bike sucks up over-jumping the best I have ever had, but the small bumps are beating me up the forks feel good , but the rear is kicking on braking bumps and not hooking up to the ground on acceleration bumps! How are the stock springs for 180lbs slow C-class rider that hits most of the jumps?

Thanks, Joe

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
I have to adjust the suspension at every track, and that includes the HSCD but it seems to do OK. I'm sure I could use some heavier springs (I'm 182.5) but my kid races my bike and I need to compromise. I set the sag @ 90mm on sandy or mudy tracks and 95mm on hard tracks and have been fine.
This is still a very "forgiving" suspension compared to my 01 YZ.
Regards

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Originally posted by IBWFO
I set the sag @ 90mm on sandy or mudy tracks and 95mm on hard tracks and have been fine.
:think I am curious why you would run less sag for a sand track?

I would agree that heavier springs are likely in order for anyone in the 180+lb range. At 190lbs, I found the '02 suspension soft.

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
That is how my son prefers it, not me. he is really light, only 135 lbs, and he has just started riding my bike. I'm not ready to get him his own 250 yet, I have enough maint on his 125. I know you would think it would be just the opposite but it seems the rear is stiffer (spring wise) than the front.
regards

02-cr250r

Aug 21, 2008
Hey,
I just bought a 2002 cr250 and it came with a eibach spring with a spring rate of 5.1, the guy I bought if from also gave me the stock spring. I was wondering if I am going to be riding a lot of dunes and some mx tracks, should i keep the aftermarket spring or put the original back on. oh and i am 6'5" and weigh 195lbs

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
Stock valving was a bit harsh back then. A rebuild with lighter oil helped but was not even a half cure for the harsh suspension. 03 was worse. Wasn't 5.1 the stock rate also in 02?? If I had this bike again, I would spring for a revalve and a 20mm triple-clamp, then you have one of the best/solid bike made!!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom