flyer1171

Sponsoring Member
Mar 4, 2001
Has anyone heard of a recall for the 2002 CR airboxes, other than than service bulletin for sealing the boot to the airbox? One of the local riders says he has parts on order from Honda for an airbox fix,but I cannot find anything.

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
From what I have been told there will be no recall. I had a box custom built with the 01 metal ring and rubber boot.

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
The late release service bulleton says to properly seal the existing air boot to airbox junction.That bulleton is to the dealerships.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I was told a fellow racer about it and he told me when he pulled apart the airbox/airboot and there was this crusty seal like silicon around it. They just got the bike like 3 weeks ago.

Yz250rider

Aug 31, 2000
That brown, hard, crusty residue left at the junction is the failure. I suggest using silicone to re-seal it. It worked great on my bike, just make sure you use gobbs of it, especially in the little crevase.

baxterj787

Oct 4, 2001
BEEF and dezrat, the PC prodct is good at it's job, but it does nothing for the main problem, which is the airbox-airboot junction. The part PC sells seals the air filter-airbox gap.

Most of the CR's I have seen through my service dept had marginal sealant on the box-boot juncture. A really good fix is to trim the 5 studs that stick out of the airbox by about 1.5 - 2 mm AND use a good weatherstripping compound.

sparkycr250

Feb 9, 2002
Air Box

I recentley purchased a new 02 Cr250. I was dissapointed when I found I had to make updated changed to the air box. I spent time and money, granted it was only the price of a PC kit but still. the PC kit was the trick!

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Ive modified one this morning as i found from new, the glue that holds the rubber boot to the airbox wasnt holding.I redid the seal using Kawasaki gasket sealant and also put an extra screw between each wood screw already used.I cut down the original screw posts by 2mm. The metal ring deforms very easlily BTW.I would do it again better by putting 2 pop rivets between each wood screw.On the filter side i found the twin air is alot better sealing then std.

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
Hey baxterj, there are two kits from PC racing, one just seals the filter to airbox junction, it is a neoprene gasket with an adhesive baking, I think those are about $15.00. The one dezertrat and I are talking about is one that includes both the gasket and a red anodized ring and gasket set that does address the boot/box problem. The new ring is much thicker and stiffer so it keeps the junction together when you pull the subframe off. Pc even gives you a thin neoprene agsket that is supposed to seal the junction without adhesive. I used the honda seal and the gasket and my buddy used just the gasket, we wil tear his down this afternoon after we ride and wee how it did!;)

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
IMO the pc racing kit with seal and ring is just a band aid fix for a crap design. I had a 02 box built with the metal ring and boot from a 01 cr and it is way better than sotck or the jerry rigged pc kit.

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
AJ from Service Honda made it for me. He took a the 01 rubber boot, the outer ring that goes around the boot on the carb side , and the innner metal ring the filter bolts up to. He had to modify the stock box by cuting that POS plastic crosmember out and contoured the box to fit the 01 boot. The reason i did this was because IMO the PC kit is a crap fix( i bought it first) and the stock design is terrible. I gaurantee after time you will get leakage, even with the pc kit. Bolting a rubber flang to a flexing piece of plastic is about the stupidest thing i've ever seen. The other problem is the plastic crossmemeber will flex and the wood screws that hold the thing together are a joke . Jerryrig fixing it with sealer is just crazy imo.

Last edited:

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
bwalker - did he mad it for you or make it for you:p
Just kidding. If you can make an AJ-style airbox at your house, I think it would be best

Get IT!

Nov 7, 2001
bwalker
Your mod sounds good. It was a crappy setup mass production can kill quality.

Flyer1171
Got a recall notice the 27th of Jan. Three days before the end of the free service to fix the problem. Honda rocks but, their service sucks.

sparkycr250

Feb 9, 2002
If honda sent out recall notices to those who have already taken deliv ery they should find out from the dealer what that recall intells. I will call my dealer and ask what it is they are doing to fix the problem. This SUCKS!:moon: Especailly since this is the first Honda I've purchased in 12 years and its a pain in the :moon:

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
They are going to jerryrig it with weatherstrip cement. There will be no recall. I bet ten bucks that Honda redesigns for next year.

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
in honda - go blue as the blues rule the roost and then all your problems will be solved
You Assuies do alot of drugs? Ill take 500cc of two stroke fury any day over a yammy.Silly bloke.:)

Last edited:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I just redid mine(again).I ended up drilling 2 holes between each wood screw and using M3 screws and nuts to hold it tight.That metal ring is a joke as is the number of fixing locations-nothing would hold the ring against the airbox that can flex so easily, even if the ring was 30mm thick the airbox could flex away from it-real poor design but it gives us something to do at night.:aj:

Top Bottom