Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
I just picked up my new 02 CR250 and the dealer said it was taken care of on the floor before my purchase. He did not give details except that there was a recall on the air box and Honda had taken care of it.

sparkycr250

Feb 9, 2002
If you buy a late season 450 the problem has been fixed. If you have or are buying a 250. You either fix it your self or have the dealer do it before it leaves the shop. The dealers are doing ether one of two things and my options were this. Weather stripping(crap) or silicone ( not much better). I had the dealer through in a pcracing seal kit with the aluminum ring, seal and silicone (better than nothing). or I guess you could lay down some bucks and have a new air box made by service honda. I almost decided to buy a 450 than deal with the problem.

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
The 450 has just as much of a problem as the 250. Silicone is a way bad idea since it is gasoline soluable and could disolve. Weatherstrip adhesive is a better choice. All in all sealer, the pc kit, and silicone are just jerryrigs to fix a piss poor design.IMo the best fix is to fit the 01 boot and inner/outer ring assembly.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Heck my lawnmower has a better airbox design:moon: Ha,my home furnace filter has a better seal:p ok i'm done:p

sparkycr250

Feb 9, 2002
I have to say all this airbox hype is just that hype. I've only had to do one thing to my air box. 1) seal the ouside with an aluminum ring and a little foam seal provided by pcracing. The other was a Twinn air filter, which I always do anyway. Absolutley no problems. Guys it is what you make of it! My new 250 is the best bike i've ridden in along time and I'll put up with alittle hype for that. K- I'm off my soap box now

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
I have to say all this airbox hype is just that hype
I am glad your happy. I am not. It is a subpar design and will fail even with the pc kit. I guarantee it would not stand up to even a month of MI sand.

CR 250 MXer

Jan 30, 2002
I think it sucks that Honda would make a mistake like this. It blows my mind how something like this could get by all the testing (obviously not enough). I have never owned anything but Honda bikes and been very satisfied. In my mind Honda has always made very high quality bikes, but it looks like this time they kinda dropped the ball. However, something this minor is not going to pursuade me away from the company who has always come through for me.

Top Bottom