scairns

Sep 19, 2002
I am considering buying a 2002 Gas Gas 250EC from a friend, it has the Olin suspension option. I see very little of this bike around more 200 or 300's is there any reason not to purchase this bike. My current bike is an 84 IT200 and yes this will be a huge step up.

Thanks any input would be welcome.

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
Awesome bike. The 250's aren't rare, it's just the 300's are so popular. And a 200 makes sense to a 125 rider. 300's are more popular b/c they have 4-stroke like torque and are easy (non-tiring) to ride. You can practically lug it up a hill. The 250's require more clutch use and shifting (and energy). Correct gear choice and RPM is obviously more work on the tough trails. The 250 is snappier than the 300 but the EC version should be nice & linear. Kind of depends what you're riding. Slow torture trails favor the 300, high speed riding favors the 250. The Ohlins is a big big plus. Good Luck

scairns

Sep 19, 2002
Thanks.

My favorite is real nasty woods, 1st gear type stuff almost trials but I spend a fair mount on faster single track or logging road exlporing. Maple Ridge, Canada (near Vancouver)

Granted a 300 would be my first choice but this one is within my reach. I have ridden it a little and holy s__t way more bike than the my old IT200 or the newer KDX 200 I rode the same day. With my IT 11 front sprocket I can get through most nasty stuff with minimal clutch work even over logs, etc. Does it have the ability to lug and snap up from almost stalling ?

I have found a bunch off stuff online since this post and I am sold on this machine. Cannot wait.

It does cold foul the odd plug ???

sloopy

Feb 16, 2004
i here parts are hard to get for those bikes. there is a kid that is sponsored by gas gas that lives near me. gas gas send him 3 bikes a season, so if he needs any parts he has a couple other bikes to get parts off of.

i hear they make the best two stroke enduro though.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
There's a dealer at the coast and a couple in the interior of BC so you're good to go. I haven't had a problem getting parts for my bike, but it hasn't needed many. You're gonna love switching to the Gasser! Oh yeah, it'll go from almost stalling to pinned quickly. Lots of power!

scairns

Sep 19, 2002
Can't wait :aj:

:ride:

:laugh:

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
Hard to say. I don't have the EC. Mine wants to stall but that's setup more than anything. I've never fouled a plug though.

euro51

Jan 18, 2004
Lovely bike if it has the LTR kit it is awsome I bought a new 300 ec 03 and traded it for a 02 250, with the Ohlin fork it should be a dream.I have had a 98 250ec very nice bike as well,03 200 probebly the one I could ride the best but I could not care less for the 300 I don't know why.I messed with jetting,pipes,seat,footpegs,tripleclamp Ijust didn't like the bike.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
...and I have ridden Jack's bike. I consider it to be the finest "stocker" available in terrms of fit for my height and preferred style out of the crate. The suspension was very good even though setup for someone heavier than pencil me (160). I've yet ot ride a 300, but short of that would say the 250 has the hit I like for higher speed obstacles.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom