2002 GG xc & ec 300 - what are the differences?

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I have an opportunity to buy a very, very clean 2002 Gas Gas XC 300 for a very, very good price. ( :

For 2002, what were the differences between the XC 300 and EC 300 ?

ThaNKS.

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
The EC300 is street legal in regions of the world that allow 2 strokes on the road. For the u.s. market, the turn signals are removed. The XC is a off-road and less "euro enduro" version of the EC. The XC has different wiring loom with no horn, hi/lo beam, etc. To dual-sport an EC, all you have to do is buy the turn signal stalks and bolt them on...

The engines are identical between the two except for a lighter ignition and lack of a flywheel weight on the XC. (The XC250 comes with the higher compression head that comes on the mc250 motocrosser).

The 2002 XC came with the MC mx'er non o-ring chain and wimpy chain guide - the ec has something out of the 70s...

The 2002 EC came with a messico pipe -> the 2002 XC came with an FMF gnarly pipe.

jeff
'01 gasgas ec300
www.gasgasrider.org GasGas Rider's Club

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I've read that the XC 300 will require race gas ... any truth to that ?

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
The XC250 came fitted with the high compression head from the motocross version of the bike. The previous importer recommended a 50/50 mix of pump/race gas for this bike.

I was told by Steve Marolda at motowest that the XC300 did not come with a high compression head (I don't think one is even made for it!). Therefore, both the XC300 and EC300 run just fine on pump gas. I run pump premium in mine and do just fine. I mix 50/50 with pump/race gas in the wintertime when they oxygenate the fuel here in oregon (nov through april?)

jeff
'01 gasgas ec300 ohlins
www.gasgasrider.org GasGas Rider's Club
www.lt-racing.com GasGas Performance Products

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
MotoWest, you say? I stop by Steve's shop at least once a year to look at "that puppy in the window", and this xmas won't be any different: this little boy will go home again with a tear running down his cheek... 8-<.........
Z-Racing is three doors down in the same strip mall, so I can bring forth tears from both eyes 8-<:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

In any event, from what fellers on this board said & elsewhere, the XC is more dez or "open" riding (cross country) orienented, with a harder hit engine-wise, whereas the EC is more woods, slick-conditions oriented (tight enduros) with a mellow, linear power delivery. The suspensions are setup accordingly, to parallel the engine's delivery and region.

On thing for sure is you wouldn't be lacking for a beautiful blend of power and grunt with a 300. If it's anything like 'Jacks, it's a gem.

You might want to try Steve, Smackover's BB, or call Jim Cook himself for more info.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
PL ... still interested in the WR 1-2-5- ?

I rode Kiwi's 300 again at Jawbone and I absolutely loved it. I'm likely puttin' the tiddler up for sale. Send me an email ...

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I almost forgot ... thanks euro GG - for the info !

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
... and thanks RMXR and Placelast.

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
Thx John. I finally replaced my banged up pipe for a new one so the bottom end doesn't have that lethargic feel anymore. Got it completely dialed in now too - I'm a happy camper.

Senor Eel, the answer to you query is ... "They're so close that it just doesn't matter." It's the diffference b/w a pipe & a flywheel. Also, you can change reeds, timing, or remove the reed spacer to affect power delivery. On top of that, gearing as well. Anyway, again, you can shape it so much it that doesn't matter (esp. if it's green sticker!) b/c they have identical engine & trans. Just check w/ Jim Cook or Steve M. regarding the possibility of the high compression head.

BTW, how good a deal? You're not going to make me cry are you?

Top Bottom