2strokes4life

Apr 1, 2009
Hey all I have a question for you. I have a 2002 CR 250 that I bought a few weeks ago. I got a great deal on it and it is super clean. The guy I bought it from said it had about 40 hrs on it. I haven't compression checked it yet, but the kickstart lever feels like the compression is high and it starts first kick. He ran it at 32:1 and quite rich. There was spooge everywhere. I pulled the entire pipe and silencer. I replaced the exhaust gasket, springs, o-ring, and repacked the silencer. I just changed to Belray H1R at 40:1. I adjusted the airscrew and it is running very crisp, but I still get just a few spots of spooge on my rear fender. There is just a bit coming from the silencer tip. I'm afraid to run it too lean. The plug looks perfectly tan at WOT. I haven't had a chance to test it at all throttle positions yet. The mechanic at my local Honda shop said he worked on the racing teams engines and they were all clean with no piston or ring failures. He told me to lean it out more. He said I should see no spooge. He said go one jet size leaner on the main and the pilot. What do you all think? I also have one more question. Should I take the cylinder off and check the piston and rings as normal maintenance? It runs great and I want to make sure it stays healthy, but I also believe in the thought that if it ain't broke don't fix it. I will use it mostly for trail riding. Sorry for the book and thanks in advance!

chevyss_98

Feb 26, 2006
hey,

in my opinion its not worth it unless the extra 2% power is needed for racing.

I had a 2000CR250 that had exactly how much spooge you are describing now.

Never bothered to change it, just adjusted mixture, ran synthetic oil and my compression never went anywhere (stayed at 185PSI)

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
maybe lower the needle one notch down will help the spooge and the throttle response...
you can search the links about jetting on the top of two stroke forum...
it will give you an insight in what you need or can do...

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
To lean out the mixture, you add more oil, thus go to a 24:1 or soemthing ratio. You have richened the fuel mixture by using less oil per gallon.

Now you have to remember that since the bikes are not oil injected, you are jetting the oil mixture ratio for WOT. You use enough oil so it does not seize when you pin it. So when you are not WOT, you dont need that much oil to keep the internals lubricated. That is why you get excess oil out the pipe and in the cylinder.

So in short, either Pin it 100% of the time, or just deal with the little excess oil.

Also changing the oil mixture ratio will require jetting adjustments on the bike to be running perfect. But the 02+ CRs are known to be hard to jet to start with.

2strokes4life

Apr 1, 2009
Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I'll leave the top end alone unless someone says different. I don't have compression numbers yet, but I'll get that soon. I realize that I am making the engine run richer with the 40:1. Belray recommended H1R at 40:1 over the 32:1 though. As far as jetting, the throttle response is very crisp, but I'm getting a little spooge as described earlier. Do you guys think jet changes would be required changing from 32:1 to 40:1. I figured only airscrew changes would be required. Do you guys think you can safely run a 2 stroke clean with no engine spooge without taking a toll on the piston/rings/cylinder? I ride mostly woods and don't really want to change top ends every year. I hate cleaning up the spooge though.

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
40:1 is a good ratio for a trail rider, stick to that and dont worry about a little spooge. that year cr was jetted too rich from stock for most people though, so if you want to re-jet it you may end up gaining some power and less spooge. its up to you. i ended up using a 390 main,42 pilot and the leanest honda needle for that bike. ran well with no black spooge on muffler etc..

Top Bottom